Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2005
I never gave Scrivener a fair shake because I always considered it to be a tool for professional writers (versus a word processor).

But after my recent struggle with keeping my attention focused on one place, I went looking for full-screen applications. WriteRoom is the obvious choice, but I saw that Scrivener also had these capabilities. I began to use it and... my god.. this thing is great. If you're a student who writes research papers, I strongly suggest trying it out.

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.html

Anyone else have extensive Scrivener experience?

Avro

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Belgium
I never gave Scrivener a fair shake because I always considered it to be a tool for professional writers (versus a word processor).

But after my recent struggle with keeping my attention focused on one place, I went looking for full-screen applications. WriteRoom is the obvious choice, but I saw that Scrivener also had these capabilities. I began to use it and... my god.. this thing is great. If you're a student who writes research papers, I strongly suggest trying it out.

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.html

Anyone else have extensive Scrivener experience?

Yes, I have been using it for about 18 months now and the more I use it the more I like it. Like others such as Merlin Mann and Andy Ihnatko, I have started using Scrivener as my primary WP. AT first I was just using it for my University courses, but now I use it for writing presentations, radio and TV broadcasts and everyday work. It is great at keeping track of your research and past work as well as having everything in front of you while you are making the final draft. Reminds me of being a student a Cambridge 25 years ago, but without the mess on my desk. :)

I'd highly recommend the video on the Scrivener Website as a way of getting started.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.