I've learned to appreciate the new iPad's flawed screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Choicy, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Choicy macrumors newbie

Hey macrumors. Last week I bought my first iPad (3rd gen) and since then have returned it 3 times because of the screen issues that everyone's talking about. Before buying my iPad, I thought this was just a minor issue and it wouldn't happen to me. But it did and it's a real issue. My first iPad had a warm/pink hue on the upper half of the iPad. Then on my second iPad there were green hues on the top half and backlight bleeding on the bottom. I thought I was just seeing things and being "OCD" as everyone puts it. But if you pay attention to detail, a lot of the new iPads have these imperfections. Now on my 4th iPad, it's the best "version" ive managed to find but there is a slight green hue on the top half if you look closely. But like I said, I've come to appreciate the retina display and all the things the new iPad has to offer that the green spot doesn't seem so bad anymore. I hope the more I use the iPad I can slowly unnotice the imperfections. I guess this is just a story I'd like to tell to all the people thinking about getting the new iPad. All iPads I've come across had some issue and it'd be wise to take advantage of the 14 day return policy to get the best version of the iPad so you'll be getting the iPad you spent your hard earned money on.

Even now typing this post on my new iPad, I can hardly see the slight green spot on the top half. You've just got to enjoy the experience rather than nitpicking the smallest of problems.

2. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

The fact that you have started this thread shows you really are not happy at all.

You are just trying to convince yourself.

3. danielxute macrumors member

I convinced myself that my new iPad is good enough too. But then I use it in landscape mode and remember that my iPad is a $640 POS.

4. Just Switched macrumors member

Return it. Good ones do exist. We wen't through several bad ones at our house before getting flawless iPads. I ran various color bars, test patterns, blue only, and used my colorimeter to check the screen for uniformity and got amazing resluts. Turst me. Return till you get a good one. I know it's annoying going back and forth to the store but having an iPad 3 that works like you expect it to is an awesome experience. Don't settle for a defective iPad. Again, good ones do exist.

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Very sad to read this post.

People who willingly accept the new iPad's flaws, having no expectations based on previous models, will soon outnumber those of us who owned the iPad 1 and 2, and have come to expect quality.

This, thanks to Tim "SupplyGuy" Cook's carpet bombing of the entire world simultaneously with rushed to market iPads.

Eventually, those of us who remember when Apple released more luxurious products in smaller batches at a slower pace will be forgotten, to be replaced by an ever growing hoarde of consumers who have no idea what Apple used to mean.

Is it any wonder the new iPad has a 98% approval rating? Half of the new iPads sold this month were probably sold to people who never owned an iPad 1 or 2. They don't know from pink, green, yellow, blotchy screens, or poor viewing angles.

Those of us who buy every new Apple product have been the early adopter ambassadors for the past 10 years, showing and telling everyone we know how great Apple stuff is. Now everyone knows, and Apple wants to sell something to every one of them.

Quality? That's so 2010. We want QUANTITY. The new Apple fan wants the latest gadget without having to stand in line. Make more! Who cares if the screen is a little wacky? These kids have never seen a perfect screen anyway. All they know is it says APPLE on it. Box it up and ship it out!

Sad. Very sad.

6. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

7. danielxute macrumors member

Y

Yeah, if you aren't passed your 14 days I would return it. Don't make the same mistake I did.

8. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Decide what you're prepared to put if and enjoy it. I do a dead pixel check, standard white balance check and thats it. The way people go to extremes looking for every tiny flaw is not how you would use it every day. You look hard enough for flaws and surely you'll find one.

My brightness is kept at around 40%, I usually read it in a bumpy car ride, around a ft away from my eyes. 99% of the time my device is settings and usage are nowhere near allowing me to appreciate the perfect retina screen. 90% of people have had 1 or no exhanges according to our polls.
    And those other guys are either statistically the unluckiest people around or have a major case of OCD.

9. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Ha...Ha...Ha...Tim "SupplyGuy" Cook's carpet bombing of the entire world, That was funny Man seriously lol ! :D

Yep unfortunately that has ended as an Reality !

10. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

I completely agree with mcdj - a very important post

It is of utmost importance to take this mcdj's message/post very seriously, both for the customers AND for Apple. It is also very sad that such a post really has to be written, and even be debated or "questioned".

11. viewfly, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

I read these stories and something seems amiss. 4th iPad ?

When the genius bar gave you your 2,3 and 4th iPad didn't you both agree that it looked fine in the store ? Why would they and you walk away with a defective product?

Not saying you are lying and such, but maybe not a good shopper? And surprised that apple let's you walk out with a bad one. You guys should be opening boxes in the stores until its right. No?

Given the 2 weeks return policy this is not being done via mail returns so it must be live and in the store.

I mean OCD'ing about the screen would translate to being an careful shopper at the store?

12. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Same experience here with multiple problems - rainbow screens, dings in the case, dead pixels and dust under the screen. Took them all back. Typing this on a £279 Galaxy Tab that was perfect out of the box. And I've owned lots of Apple products over the years.

Something has changed at Apple re QC. And it's not a good thing!

13. Flexigem macrumors newbie

Definately the mark for the QC has been set down a few notches. Hearing all around about the yellowish display issues is no coincidence. This time Apple seems to go down the route for the masses. Sad!

My first one had a dust speck under the screen but the screen was superb. I exchanged and noticed now that I am on the yellowish side. I cant live with flaws if I shell out that much money for the highest model. I then expect quality for this amount. I am going back to the store today to compare the layed out ones there with mine. If all of them are on the neutral side and differ from mine, I will start an exchange again. This is so frustrating because its my expensive time to redo all this again and again and again.

If :apple: doesnt catch up with their QC, their reputation might go down faster than they would expect. Word of mouth is the best marketing. so they better have confident clients soon.

14. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

You just notice because of them.
    The main problem is that you are willing to see it, instead of just use in normal conditions and trying to do what you want to do.

15. ZipZap macrumors 601

Can we start a new area in MR and move all the folks like the OP there?

Then I wont have to wade through anymore useless posts from people who think they're being cute/funny when in fact they come across as sad and boring.

16. seadragon Contributor

Well said. I totally agree with this.