I'VE LOST BLUETOOTH!!!

willow-warbler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Careless I know, but for some incomprehendable reason I've lost the bluetooth on my 867mhz 12" powerbook?? I installed 10.3.9 a couple of months ago, and poof, she was gone. The hardware isn't even registered in the system profiler. Has anyone else had this paranormal experience?? The File is open!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Nobody else is answering, so try this.

Check here-->About This Mac-->More Info…->Hardware>USB>Bluetooth Bus
I know it’s weird, but do it. What do you see?
Check here-->About This Mac-->More Info…->Hardware>Bluetooth Bus
Then do the same, less click on ->Hardware>Bluetooth, and tell us what you see?

This will help determin if it is a hardware issue or a software/os issue.

Next for giggles, System Preferences-->Bluetooth-> Settings

Click

• *Discoverable,
    *Open Bluetooth Assistant when device is not present
    *Show Bluetooth in status bar.

Reboot.

What happens.

siliconjones

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2004
I have had it work on multiple powerbooks that mysteriously lose contact with built-in bluetooth.

<OMG> Precious uptime. Geek.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
siliconjones said:
I have had it work on multiple powerbooks that mysteriously lose contact with built-in bluetooth.

fair do , but you leave my geeky uptime alone

willow-warbler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Bluetooth Ache

Under Bluetooth in the system profiler the message reads:
"No information found."

And the system prefs show no Bluetooth option?? I've just upgraded to 10.4 and after seaching through spotlight the systems says that "...you don't have a Bluetooth module installed or attached to your computer."

I tried detaching the battery for 10mins to no avail.

Could this mysterious loss have anything to do with the recent addition of an airport card???

Your help is very much appreaciated

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Search Apples site for a Firmware update.

It was the solution for a G5 iMac owner. It's all I can come up with.

By the way, I was actualy looking for the info under USB Bluetooth, I don't know if you were stateing that it didn't show up under Bluetooth or USB Bluetooth, or both. Search for the firmware, but as I understand BT technolgy, it is usualy implementd and connected to a US Buss.

jonat8

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2004
United Kingdom
I used to have this problem if I had to hard turn off my computer and then boot it again while using the Bluetooth link (happened a lot using my iDisk over a GPRS connection), when I rebooted there was no sign of Bluetooth, no icon in System Prefs and the icon in the menu bar at the top right said Bluetooth: Not Available.

It marked the start of several reboots. Sometimes it reappeared if I rebooted properly once, sometimes it took up to 4 sequential reboots to get it back again. Weird. And rather worrying.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
siliconjones said:

it's probably like resetting the pmu (power management unit). it worked for various problems for me as well. google on apple website for exact procedure for your machine.

http://search.info.apple.com/?search=Go&lr=lang_en&kword=&q=computer reset pmu

and by the way, we are all geeks here. my uptime is 7d 10hrs. :D :D

bloodfist

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
My Powerbook did this at school this past semester. I noticed it when I was in philosophy class and freaked out. I didn't pay much attention that day. Anyway, I did a search on the Apple forums and found a few other people with the same problem. One of them suggested a reset of Open Firmware. I forget the key combination you hold down on boot up, but once you are at the OF prompt, you just type "reset-all" (without the quotes). When you hit enter, the computer will restart. It worked for me.

Just another suggestion.

bloodfist

AO MacBook

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
I have a MacBook purchased in late 2008. I always have difficulties with Bluetooth mice. However, recently I completely lost the Bluetooth module and under About this mac/hardware/bluetooth there was nothing. I recovered the Bluetooth module and reactivated my mouse by removing the battery and power cord for several minutes as suggested above.

Strange.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
wow talk about dig up the old thread!

however - are you running the latest and greatest updates and such ?

(just noticed i was banging on about up time, up there :rolleyes: - still going well not on that model mind :D )