Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
And I just got another X-25M and want to do a clean installation.

Since I've already paid for it, should I download it from somewhere? Anything I have to worry about?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You can get replacement Restore DVDs from Apple for 15 to 30 USD or buy the SL Upgrade DVD if you want.

Or use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the HDD to the SSD (in an external USB enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs/SSDs) and exchange the drives after that.

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
You can get replacement Restore DVDs from Apple for 15 to or buy the SL Upgrade DVD if you want.

Or use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the HDD to the SSD (in an external USB enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs/SSDs) and exchange the drives after that.

Is the SL Upgrade DVD the same as the retail version?

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Snow Leopard upgrade disk may not work. If the version on a SL upgrade disk is 10.6 and your installing it on a system that came with say 10.6.2, it won't install.

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2009
MN
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you LEGALLY had the software but you lost the discs, can't you torrent it and it wouldn't be breaking the law? I know it's not the safest way, I'm just throwing it out there.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The Snow Leopard upgrade disk may not work. If the version on a SL upgrade disk is 10.6 and your installing it on a system that came with say 10.6.2, it won't install.

There are currently Snow Leopard Upgrade DVDs in circulation with Mac OS X 10.6.3 on them, I just saw some the day before yesterday. I suppose there are Snow Leopard DVDs out there with Mac OS X 10.6.4, but even Apple's sOnline Store seems to only have 10.6.3 versions.

My system was bought in November and came with 10.6.1. :confused:

Contact Apple and ask for replacement DVDs, they cost the same as the Upgrade DVD and will have the correct version for your Mac and include iLife.

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
And I just got another X-25M and want to do a clean installation.

Since I've already paid for it, should I download it from somewhere? Anything I have to worry about?
On the sidenote: by that logic, you aught to get a free MacBook Pro should you loose your current one, simply because you already payed for it. :p

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If it matters any, the restore DVDs will contain iLife, but the Snow Leopard upgrade DVD won't.

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
On the sidenote: by that logic, you aught to get a free MacBook Pro should you loose your current one, simply because you already payed for it. :p

Software is not a material...

The problem is that there is no "Apple Greece". Just third party retailers. And I asked already and they said I should buy the upgrade disk, which doesn't have iLife. Which I have paid for.

Does it sound any more reasonable now?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Well, if it helps any, you couldn't walk into an official Apple Store and get these discs either. They're only available through phoning AppleCare, at least in the US.

Greece 00800 44145417
http://www.apple.com/support/contact/phone_contacts.html

But about the downloading question, despite the fact you lost the physical media, you do still own the license to use the restore DVDs. So I don't see anything wrong, other than potential safety issues, with getting a copy of the restore discs. They're specific to the individual model machine you're using (MacBookPro6,2 or whatever), so I'd think they'd be a lot harder to find.

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
That number was on Apple's website. If you call that, it doesn't connect you to Apple's AppleCare technical support?

There is no official Applecare technical support. You are "referred" to the authorised service providers who will honor a warranty, but still are not Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.