I've lost the OS installation disk.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gabriel GR, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

And I just got another X-25M and want to do a clean installation.

Since I've already paid for it, should I download it from somewhere? Anything I have to worry about?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can get replacement Restore DVDs from Apple for 15 to 30 USD or buy the SL Upgrade DVD if you want.

Or use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the HDD to the SSD (in an external USB enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs/SSDs) and exchange the drives after that.

3. Gabriel GR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Is the SL Upgrade DVD the same as the retail version?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's one and the same. It just does not include iLife as the Restore DVDs do.

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

The Snow Leopard upgrade disk may not work. If the version on a SL upgrade disk is 10.6 and your installing it on a system that came with say 10.6.2, it won't install.

6. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you LEGALLY had the software but you lost the discs, can't you torrent it and it wouldn't be breaking the law? I know it's not the safest way, I'm just throwing it out there.

7. Gabriel GR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

My system was bought in November and came with 10.6.1. :confused:

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There are currently Snow Leopard Upgrade DVDs in circulation with Mac OS X 10.6.3 on them, I just saw some the day before yesterday. I suppose there are Snow Leopard DVDs out there with Mac OS X 10.6.4, but even Apple's sOnline Store seems to only have 10.6.3 versions.

Contact Apple and ask for replacement DVDs, they cost the same as the Upgrade DVD and will have the correct version for your Mac and include iLife.

9. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Aren't the new SL discs that are shipping 10.6.3?

EDIT: Not fast enough :)

10. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

On the sidenote: by that logic, you aught to get a free MacBook Pro should you loose your current one, simply because you already payed for it. :p

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

If it matters any, the restore DVDs will contain iLife, but the Snow Leopard upgrade DVD won't.

12. Gabriel GR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Software is not a material...

The problem is that there is no "Apple Greece". Just third party retailers. And I asked already and they said I should buy the upgrade disk, which doesn't have iLife. Which I have paid for.

Does it sound any more reasonable now?

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Well, if it helps any, you couldn't walk into an official Apple Store and get these discs either. They're only available through phoning AppleCare, at least in the US.

Greece 00800 44145417
    http://www.apple.com/support/contact/phone_contacts.html

But about the downloading question, despite the fact you lost the physical media, you do still own the license to use the restore DVDs. So I don't see anything wrong, other than potential safety issues, with getting a copy of the restore discs. They're specific to the individual model machine you're using (MacBookPro6,2 or whatever), so I'd think they'd be a lot harder to find.

14. Gabriel GR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Called all three Companies in Athens already. But thank's for doing this. :)

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

That number was on Apple's website. If you call that, it doesn't connect you to Apple's AppleCare technical support?

16. Gabriel GR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

There is no official Applecare technical support. You are "referred" to the authorised service providers who will honor a warranty, but still are not Apple.

17. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

just go to your closest software seller and buy snow leopard, its amazing and you CAN install the full os off of the disk i did it last week =D