I've made a BIG mistake, please HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kikedeolivos, Dec 28, 2009.

1. kikedeolivos macrumors member

Hi all,

I've accidentally deleted the Windows XP icon from my Macbook Desktop. I have a partition on my Mac HD with 32 Gb alloted to Windows, with all my files and applications. I've seen the Info on Mac HD and the 32 Gb for Windows are still there. Is there any way to recreate the icon and access (Boot Via Boot Camp) my Windows XP partition without loosing what's in there?

Thank you!

2. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

You could restore from backup. You DO back up your data, right?

3. kikedeolivos thread starter macrumors member

I didn't back up the Windows XP partition. (not enough Gb on my WD Passport USB Hard Drive)

The good news is that I've restarted my Macbook and the icon re appeared: via Boot Camp I went to XP and everything's back to normal...thank God!

4. outZider macrumors member

Wait, did you just drag it to the trash? When you reboot, it'll be back. Or, if you go to Disk Utility, you can select the partition and hit 'Mount'. If that's not what you're talking about, could you tell us how you deleted it, so we know what's going on?

5. kikedeolivos thread starter macrumors member

That's what I did.

6. unitysong macrumors newbie

What happened

Good to hear you got it sorted out.

When you remove a volume (CD/DVD, USB drive, another partition, etc.) from the the desktop, it "ejects" the volume from your computer: CDs eject, disk images and partitions are "unmounted," or hidden so to speak.

Restarting is a long workaround, you can open Disk Utility in:

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

Then just select the partition you want to see again and click "Mount."

The only ways to purposefully ruin your Windows partition are to trash or move the contents, erase or remove the partition, or boot it into Windows for more than a day or two.

7. kikedeolivos thread starter macrumors member

Good to know.

Thank you all.