I've made my decision, what are you doing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by woahdell, Jun 9, 2008.

1. woahdell macrumors newbie

I, like probably everyone else here, was so excited for the WWDC keynote today. I was still excited until I found out about the stupid data plan they are going to be offering. I don't even have 3G in my area and probably won't for quite some time and if I upgrade I'm going to be paying $15 more a month minimum, and that's if I just get 200 text messages. AT&T should keep the edge data plan as an option...what do you guys think? I'm tempted to just purchase a 16 gig 1st gen iPhone (I currently have an 8 that I purchased in June 2007).

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I will probably sell my 1st generation 8GB on eBay tomorrow (pending I can find another At&t phone!)

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

you should be greatful that you even get an iPhone at all. We've just been sitting here reading about your iPhones for the past year.

Finally the iPhone comes to Australia... next month.

4. RobUM macrumors newbie

I keep telling myself that I'm just going to stick with my 1st gen iPhone because there isn't much tempting me to buy a new one...although I find the white 3G to be muy sexy....Might end up buying by the end of the summer

5. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Geotagging available as 2.0 software update?

Will the geotagging feature be available in the 2.0 software update, or is it just the 3G iphone? Sorry if their are threads like this, this site has been bombarded with new threads in the past 8 hours.

6. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Haven't made my decision yet but I will be buying a 3G iPhone at some point it just depends on when I want to pay the extra per month. I'm going to wait until I can feel one in my hand and get on a family plan before I decide when I can rationalize paying the extra.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

At this point, I feel absolutely no need to upgrade from the iPhone I currently have.:cool:

8. WeAreForsaken macrumors newbie

WeAreForsaken

im going to upgrade to iphone 3g 16 gb. I wish there was a 32 gb though. oh well. i like spending money i guess?

9. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

At&t BlackBerry Personal data plan= $30 for unlimited data, no texts.
    At&t PDA Personal data plan= $30 for unlimited data, no texts.

Those prices are REGARDLESS of whether the phone is 3G or EDGE, and it doesn't make a difference what coverage area you live in. The iPhone data plan increase was because the iPhone has become more of a smartphone than it ever was before, so it is being priced accordingly with the OTHER At&t smartphone data plans.

It is NOT just because of 3G...

I guess the only ones to understand this are those of us that have been paying $30 for unlimited data, and unlimited data only for a long time...

10. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

3G would only be exciting for me if I could tether it to my laptop and have true mobile internet, which you can't. So I'm just going to use my current until it dies.

11. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

i dont have an iPhone yet, so am im going straight for the 16GB model.

but what to choose.
    black or white?

i was thinking black so it doesnt get/ look as dirty... but the white does appeal to me

12. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Going to sell the 1st generation iPhone (from iDay, no less), buy a Nokia N95-4. It's unlocked, I can put any app I want on there, I can tether it, I'll keep my iPhone rev. 1 (cheaper) contract, get 3G, a good camera, etc etc. :)
    My net overhead will be very small, since I'll save 360 dollars over the next 2 years on the service plan, (15 dollars/month for 24 months), and won't spend 300 dollars on the new iPhone. Easily will cover the N95, plus whatever I get for the original iPhone will be gravy :)
    I wanted to stick with iPhones, I really did, but the human programmers didn't teach me how to deal with being forced into a lousy new contract (/end HAL).

13. camarobh macrumors 6502

Upgrading

I will be upgrading from my current 16GB iPhone to the new 16GB iPhone 3G. I am a bit disappointed in the "nickel and dime" charges I am reading about (no dock for example), I understand the $10 additional data fee for 3G speeds, love the GPS and really believe the second version will be superior in many ways to my beloved first generation phone (i.e. sound quality, volume, etc).

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Man I just want to get 16GB iPhone 'cause it's so cheap!!! :D

15. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Folks stop complaining about the damn data price plans... your getting the iPhone at a subsidized price...

Would you rather pay the following :

$499 for 16G

or

$299 for 16G

16. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

At which point for the U.S. folks, we'd likely pay $65 for 5GB of data per month through AT&T (Here and Here)

17. rolex54 macrumors 6502

well I am sure once the hacking community gets a hold of it they will figure out a way to tether it, just like the first iPhone, I used to tether my iPhone all the time.

18. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I'm torn. I rarely use my current 8gb out of range of wifi for browsing so 3G isn't huge for me. If the little things like call quality, volume across the board is increased I might consider it. I was really looking for a few more improvements to justify the new one. Maybe by December they'll release the 32GB at the 16GB price and that might be enough for me. GPS is cool and all but..i'm torn.

19. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The 16GB BLACK is the ideal iPhone I've always wanted and I think the 3G plan is perfectly reasonable. I am certain they will allow you to stay on an Edge plan as the SDK allows you to turn off 3G.

20. nateco macrumors regular

I'm on a post drive to 100, so I can post a WTB add in the market place for a 1st gen iphone.

I wanted more in features today, I was ready to drop a 400 bucks...but the features are network dependent and rogers is gonna be such a rip off..I'm gonna get an old iphone and use it on wifi only.....at least the back is metal.

21. Surely Guest

Surely

$299 initial fee for the 16GB + (24 months x $15/month extra for 3G data and text) = $659 for the 16GB over the two years.

Um, $499?

22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You see, this is lost on me. I don't care what longterm costs manifest themselves. Best money I ever spent and its about to get better!