Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richie40rich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Hi guys, i really really need anyones help. I have roughly a 4 year old colour screen ipod 120gb. I had it plugged into my mac but my computer was shut and i presumed it was flat, therefore i unplugged my ipod and had NOTHING in my ipod. all gone. when i plug the ipod in again it gives me this error

"iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPod “RICHIE MAC'”. Go to the Summary tab in iPod preferences and click Restore to restore this iPod to factory settings."

my desktop still shows 119gb 79gb free with a picture of my ipod but i cant access anything on it. obviously if i restore factory settings ill definitely loose everything.

please help me please please please, i have my sisters 30th that ive done the playlist for the whole night for and im gonna cry if i cant get all my music back!

i realise to some super smart mac users this may be a basic problem but i need your help.

thanks alot guys, any feedback would be fantastic =)

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
If nothing has been written to your iPod a file undelete program like data rescue 3 may do the trick. Never tried it for this purpose. If the drive was written to or formatted then you are completely out of luck without a proper backup. You'll probably need another program like phone view or phone to mac or similar if your system doesn't see your iPod as a drive. Then if anything shows up, you'll need to copy everything to iTunes letting it copy files. Then copy back out of iTunes so names can be normalized.

I'm assuming you don't have a backup because you own the music on CDs and whatnot. You'll just have to scan it back in without a backup. If you purchased with iTunes then just redownload into iTunes.

If time is an issue for 30th and you have internet at your venue, open up a paid Pandora account (to avoid commercials). Pick the favorite song or group and create a station. Play station at private venue.

richie40rich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Thanks for your help guys. My mac does recognise the ipod on the desktop and state 119gb with 79gb free but doesnt allow me to actually do anything. i think im gonna try to open up the ipod files on a windows pc and just copy and paste to a portable hard drive, then re-format my ipod and upload the old ipod files.

fingers crossed. 1 positive, its a good excuse to keep all my gfs gay music of my ipod!

thanks anyway peops =)

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
Have you tried doing a force restart on your iPod? Hold down menu and play together until apple logo appears.

Do the menus etc show up on iPod? Is it essentially working but shows no content?

Cheers
D

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Sounds like the OP is one of those guys who stores all the music only on the iPod and then deletes the music from the computer.

This is why you don't do that.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
If you don't bak up your music then it's your own fault when the drive crashes. If it's a space issue with your computer then do what I do store all your music on an external hard drive. I have only like 1/8 all my music on my computer. Other then that try something like expod it might work, but if the drive is corrupt it might not. Any way this should be a good lesson to back everything up. Also A good lesson on why we should always properly eject all hard drives iPods and flash drives from computers. I can't tell you how many drives I have seen corrupted from not properly ejecting them, or files getting corrupted.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.