Ive Messed Up - cannot trash a file

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by star555, Oct 1, 2008.

1. star555 macrumors regular

I have been looking at a way to password protect a folder, and tried making an encrypted disk image of the folder and assign a password , but I messed it up, so I deleted the encrypted disk image . After that an icon came on my desktop , showing a plain white folder and the small words .DS_Store under it , I had used the words '' Store '' when trying to make the encrypted disk image of the folder so I know this .DS_Store has some thing to do with my attempting to make an encrypted disk image of the folder.

When I tried to move the .DS_Store icon to Trash, it disappears and the trash sound alert sounds ok, then I empty the trash ( Secure Empty Trash ) and every things OK , but soon within a minuet the same .DS_Store icon then re appears on my desktop. Ive gone through this Secure Empty Trash procedure many times, but the .DS_Store icon keeps re appearing on my desk top.

I then tried my EasyFind application which shows hidden files , it found the .DS_Store folder on my desktop, so I clicked Destroy , and the .DS_Store icon disappeared , but again after a minuet is re appeared back on my desktop.

Ive tried renaming the .DS_Store , but still no luck

I did see some where when I was attempting to trash this .DS_Store a pop up that said some thing about the .DS_Store
    being '' invisible '' but ive not seen the same pop up again so I can't follow that path.

I have full Admin access to my iMac,

any advice on how to trash this please , its driving me nuts:mad:

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

.DS_Store is a hidden file that stores various bits of information about each folder. Every folder has one, and if you delete it it will just be recreated. Usually it is hidden so you never see it, however from some reason you can.

Open Terminal.app

Type: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
    then Type: killall Finder

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

um its a "hidden" file as designated by the "." before file name

turn off the preference to view hidden files

4. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Guy's , have just tried both , but it still keeps coming back ..?:confused:

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Download TinkerTool and use that to turn off Hidden file viewing. See if that works.

6. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replys. just downloading TinkerTool Now, Fingers crossed :)

7. star555 thread starter macrumors regular