Iv'e never Brought a new Phone Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LiveForever, Mar 24, 2008.

1. LiveForever macrumors 6502

There is a lot of talk about iphone not having a replaceable battery but in my 14 or so years experience of owning phones ALL with replaceable batteries, I have never brought a new battery for a phone. I think Iv'e had seven phones, three Nokias, an ericsson, two NEC's and an LG. (all very very mediocre)

Why? Well when I got to the point where the battery was dead I could no longer get the said battery-Oh its obsolete mate, you will have to upgrade.

The only time I had a new battery was when the Three network sent me a new larger battery for a NEC e606 phone which was their first model on the newly introduced, new fangled 3G service back in 2002/03 (yes over five years ago in little ol backward Australia). Interesting that they had power consumption problems and the battery was huge.

So I conclude from this that the replaceable battery is purely an emotional crutch for us foolish buyers which the cell phone makers know you will never be able to use. In fact call me cynical but I think the manufacturers use the battery life to force people into changing handsets.It's very hard to find replacement batteries which is a deliberate policy, at least apple offer a replacement service..
    Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

I've been a mobile phone user for ten years, and never once have I bought a new (or spare) battery for a mobile phone. By the time the battery craps out your phone is probably years out of date anyway, and it's time to upgrade.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Funny. I'm ordering a new battery for my phone later this week and it's only a couple of years old. They're easy to find on teh intarwebs.

I'd rather get a new battery than a new phone, just from an eco point of view. The phone still does far more than I ever use it for, and I'm waiting for iPhone 3.0.

4. LiveForever thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, was checking myself and you can find batteries on the net BUT the companies themselves (Nokia etc) don't officially do them. I think I am like most people who only buy phones direct from their shops and the answer is always "Its obsolete". I agree I am lazy and can't be bothered surfing around looking for a chinese aftermarket battery-will I get the battery and will it be any good? Sorry but I still look for known brands. Also If my network is offering a shiny new phone with all the latest features then why wouldn't anyone upgrade?? I know its scandalously wasteful but I think you are in the minority.

5. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

I take a spare because I don't always take my charger abroad. When the battery dies I just flip it out and stick a new one in. It's pretty handy.

6. Archie- macrumors regular

It will hurt your resale value in 18 months, when 18 month old iPhones will have a reputation of not only being obsolete, but also having bad battery life.

7. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

This is another one of those "it all depends on how you use the phone" issues. Calling the lack of a battery replacement an emotional crutch is taking it way too far.

I have rarely bought replacement or spare batteries for my phones. But, I have. There are good reasons to do so.

First, if my phone was expensive and of a high quality it made sense to replace the one consumable part rather than replace the entire phone after just a short time.

Second, if my phone was a smart phone then I would be using it so consistently and intensely beyond making 'normal' phone calls that it would discharge and require a recharge considerably more often than a 'normal' phone. Since the life of a battery is measured not in days or months but in cycles, either the entire phone or battery will need to be replaced often (relatively).

The iPhone is both expensive and a smart phone... i.e. both of these rational situations apply.

Personally I've never needed to swap batteries on the go, but that is only because my lifestyle/career/personal use doesn't require it. It too is a valid reason.

The operative word in all of this that is disturbing is 'consumable.' In all of Apple's documentation and for all of their products batteries are consumable parts... a part of the iPhone/iPod/computer that has a life span. A part that will die from normal use long before any other component. They have gotten away with not allowing customers to change them on their own or buy spares, trading an expensive "without-the-iPod/iPhone" process for swapping it out for a long time.

But to state that Apple made the right decision simply because your useage has never necessitated a replacement battery is a fantastically ... poor, shortsighted and self-centered conclusion. :)

8. LiveForever thread starter macrumors 6502

I never expressed an opinion whether apple has made the right decision or not, I was just telling you my experiences which I really think are quite typical.

My main critisism was at the likes of Nokia who don't officially do spare batteries for phones more than 3 years in age (again what Iv'e found) and the networks encourage you to upgrade anyway.

Iv'e also tried to get a phone repired and its virtually impossible or hugely expensive for older phones.

True Iv'e never owned a phone (or smartphone) I would want to keep going anyway. From what Iv'e read apple do a battery replacement service.

9. LiveForever thread starter macrumors 6502

Apologies for double post-not sure what happened.

I never expressed an opinion whether apple has made the right decision or not, I was just telling you my experiences which I really think are quite typical.

My main critisism was at the likes of Nokia who don't officially do spare batteries for phones more than 3 years in advance (again what Iv'e found) and the networks encourage you to upgrade anyway.

Iv'e also tried to get a phone repired and its virtually impossible or hugely expensive for older phones.

True Iv'e never owned a phone (or smartphone) I would want to keep going anyway. From what Iv'e read apple do a battery replacement service.

So after realising this my comment on the iphone non replaceable battery is "so what". After being told by Three and Nokia that no reccommended (they advise use of an OEM third battery and other accessories is at your own risk and you won't get any official customer support etc etc) replacement battery is available for my old phone what is the use of having a replaceable battery if by the time you want to replace it you can't get one.

On third party accessories not working I did get an in car charger/hands free thing which worked great but 'cooked' my phone after a couple of months.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Heh, my Powerbook and EOS 350D are the first things I've bought a 2nd battery for. I usually either sell or give away devices when the battery isn't doing too great.

In 18 months time when my iPhone contract is up I'll likely unlock it to an iPod Touch like state and install a new battery. Then ride the ****er to oblivion!

11. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Well, there is definitely a balance on whether or not a new battery is cost-efficient. For example, on a high-end smartphone, such as a Nokia E or N series, or a Sony-Ericsson P-series, there's a good reason to replace a battery. Many of those cost way more than an iPhone, and make good sense to hold onto longer than the life of a battery.I plan on replacing the battery on my E90, not replacing the phone itself.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Most phone batteries seem to last for at least 2 years before they hold a charge like a wet napkin. I've only had to replace one, and it was about 3 years old at the time (and had been thoroughly abused by the slacker I gave it to). My RAZR was approaching 2 years and the battery life was shorter, but it didn't need replacing yet.

I think we'll find out if this is an issue next summer. I don't forsee any problem with having some Genius do it once every X years.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Hopefully you are right, and the majority of us iPhone owners will never have to replace the battery because it will hold it's charge and last forever. I highly highly doubt it though.

Comparing the battery life and consumption between standard cell phones and the iPhone is like comparing the fuel consumption between a Vespa and a Ferrari. It is not a realistic nor fair comparison to make. Those cell phones were just phones. The iPhone is something else completely.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Some people simply use phones up and throw them away. But some of us have good reasons to like replaceable batteries:

For work, I sometimes buy used smartphones off eBay. They often come without a battery, or a poor one. So I buy a replacement for $10 and pop it in.

I often carry a charged spare on camping trips or long flights. Again, very easy to replace it and keep going.

I've dropped phones in liquids. It was really nice to be able to instantly get the battery out before real damage could be done.

My married stepson has a Treo. Someone recently came out with a nearly double-power battery at the same size. He now enjoys nearly double the daily usage with no extra size penalty. If he wanted, he could get a triple sized battery with a new back.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I replaced my Motorola RZR Battery...

one month after it was out of warranty, and it cost about $35 USD OTD. Ended-up giving the phone to my son and bought the new KRZR.

16. krye macrumors 68000

krye

By the time the battery does need to be replaced, you'll be eyeing the new hot phone of the week anyway. If it's (and it is) anything like changing the battery on an iPod, it's a piece of cake.