Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Since the release of the iPhone X there has been a significant increase in people asking how my Samsung S8 compares to the iPhone, how it syncs with my Mac, how I cope without iMessage etc. and I know of three friends/colleagues who have chosen to move from iPhone to the S8 since the X was released.

I also now get people asking if my S8 is an iPhone X at least once a day.

Reading these forums it would seem the iPhone is selling as well as ever, but my real world experience is quite different. I wonder if this might be a turning point in the smartphone world (after all, iPhone can't be so popular forever).

Reactions: Stylingpro

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
Since the release of the iPhone X there has been a significant increase in people asking how my Samsung S8 compares to the iPhone, how it syncs with my Mac, how I cope without iMessage etc. and I know of three friends/colleagues who have chosen to move from iPhone to the S8 since the X was released.

Reading these forums it would seem the iPhone is selling as well as ever, but my real world experience is quite different. I wonder if this might be a turning point in the smartphone world (after all, iPhone can't be so popular forever).
Yes it is a turning point, iPhone sales has been declining since the 7, looks like it’s going up again.

People who switch the the s8 because of the shock factor of the screen size will realize they made a mistake soon enough. Not because it’s a bad phone, but because how it will fail to meet expectations for most.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

When I returned my X the Apple rep said they’ve gotten more returns than in the past.

The playing field has leveled out. The days of Android being laggy and slowing down are over. The Pixel 2 is a testament and I’ve heard that about the S8. I’ve read and have seen that Samsung has finally figured out how to provide a great experience with ‘their version’ of Android.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Whatever floats your boat. Couldn’t be anymore happy with my purchase of the iPhone X and this is coming from an iPhone 7+.

Reactions: GlenK

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Yes, Apple will be Bankrupt in 6 months---

I never had anyone ask me about any smartphone I have ever owned------

Reactions: akash.nu

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Articles suggest it’s selling very well and paint a picture it’s the best selling iPhone ever. I still haven’t seen one in the wild or know a single person that owns one though. In the past I’ve always known at least 15 people with the latest iPhone in the weeks following a launch but this year is different. I know a few people with the 8 and even more who haven’t bothered upgrading. I think the market is changing and buying habits have evolved.

The Samsung S8 is super cheap now though so I’d imagine it’ll attract a lot of people. Considering it’s the iPhone X’s main competitor, it’s half the price and is a cracking device.
31985d6f0722f405a8ebd4e5be5e251c.jpg

For 29 quid a month with no upfront cost, you can’t go wrong. The X is double that and at least £500 upfront!!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It's hard to see the differences between most phones these days, unless you really look. Even comparing the X to a 7 when in a Case, it is hard for anyone to see at a glance, unless the screen is bright white, showing off the screen, or if they glimpse the back of the device long enough to notice the different camera array.

FWIW the smartphone market is mature, there isn't really much difference between even my Pixel 2, and any iPhone other than the underlying OS. Even those have lots of similarities, and have quite a bit of the same available software.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Reading these forums doesn't represent the masses.

iPhones sell the most because Apple has the iOS market to itself and Samsung needs to compete against several competitors with many of the Chinese undercutting them in price.

Think of a horse race. Apple is in a walkover. Samsung is in an Android Kentucky Derby. If Apple licensed iOS to others and had the Chinese undercut them too, then iPhones wouldn't sell as many anymore.

Most people want to run apps. It's not easy in the Android world where a $50 phone can do 90% tasks of a $700 flagship. Samsung deals with that all the time. There aren't brand new $50 iOS devices out there.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
When I returned my X the Apple rep said they’ve gotten more returns than in the past.

I was at the Apple store 3 times for a return for myself, as well as with family... I overheard an Apple employee saying "Wow, another return?!" when they radioed to the back I was there for a return.

I was at 3 different carrier stores the week after release and I was told they had 3-5 returns every day since release. The main complaints were 1) it was too small 2) it was too confusing to use with all the gestures and ****.

I talked to the sales men in each store who swore it was an upgrade from my 6S+. Within 5 minutes of demonstrating all the X issues I had them believing it wasn't a superior phone and had sold them on keeping their current phone.

I switched to the Note 8 and while it was a great phone and could easily take the crown for the best Android phone on the market right now... it was quite a shock switching from iOS. I'm a rather techy person so I got used to it fairly quickly (I had used android from 2011-2014) but the one thing I missed was the quick ability to manage notifications from the lock screen. More specifically quick reply to texts. Ended up returning it and going back to my 6S+. But I have no plans to get a different phone until this one completely dies.

Reactions: AppleRobert

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
It’s the pricing mostly.

The X should have been priced a little lower or a free pair of AirPods at this price point and maybe a fast charger.

It’s pure greed now and it will come back to bite. I love Apple products but over the last couple of years, the Samsung range has been interesting.

My sister who purchased the original iPhone long before I was into them just purchased an S8 and couldn’t be happier. The main factor, price.

In addition, iOS is so stale and restrictive now, the HW is fab but iOS needs really work.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
The X is a new design/concept for Apple. Many people may have just wanted to try and see if it was for them. It won't be for everyone. It is a damn fine iPhone whether it floats your boat or not.

But, "too confusing too use" geez----o_O

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
If you have the time, I would watch, or even just listen to this video. Big star wars and Apple fan. But he dissects both OS's and gives some pretty nice input.

Yea he’s good and really wants iOS to be the best.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
IMG_0097.PNG

In the United States, Samsung has less than 30% market share compared to the nearly 45% with Apple.

Apple is the #1 OEM for mobile in the States since 2010 when it surpassed RiM. The US is mostly a postpaid country. It isn't prepaid which is what most of the world is. Other countries have to pay a larger upfront cost while Americans use two-year installments with carriers.

Americans get iPhones the cheapest while our stronger dollar and taxed imports makes poorer countries to typically pay higher by about a few hundred dollars. In South Korea, iPhone X goes for $230 higher.

Samsung has never been the #1 OEM in the States no different than Nokia being the global leader until 2012 but never catering to the American market. Market leaders of the last 15 years here in the States have been Motorola, RiM, and currently Apple. That's two American brands and a Canadian.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Yes, Apple will be Bankrupt in 6 months---

I never had anyone ask me about any smartphone I have ever owned------
Wow really? I had been asked at least 50 times over my 23 month ownership of the nexus 6p what phone is that. Not sure it was because of the 'unique' design on the back or what. However, people seemed to love it.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

The playing field has leveled out. The days of Android being laggy and slowing down are over. The Pixel 2 is a testament and I’ve heard that about the S8. I’ve read and have seen that Samsung has finally figured out how to provide a great experience with ‘their version’ of Android.

This is simply not true. We use multiple iOS and Android devices across various manufacturers to test our apps and systems everyday and Android lag is very apparent even on the S8 and the new note devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.