Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lawduck195

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2014
like I do now.

I can't stand this stupid Perian1.2.3. I CANNOT get rid of it!!!!

It is in the background of my finder too, which is as annoying as it gets. I've never seen so something ridiculous.

The icon won't go away from the desktop won't go away either. My google is strong and I can't seem to find an answer on how to effectively remove this annoying junk!!!! ANY help is highly appreciated!

I'm using 10.9.2

ScreenShot2014-04-28at30508PM_zps0de02d2c.png

ScreenShot2014-04-28at30632PM_zps0ac0fc35.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You have a screen image for the Perian folder as the background for your first folder. Just open that folder, than click the View menu/Show View Options. Click Background choice of White (or a Color that you choose - whatever you like), and the Perian image will be gone. If you also see it on other Finder windows, do the same change, and then click Use as Defaults. You may need to change that setting individually for each window that you open, but it will work for you then. Check in your Users & Groups pref pane, then Login Items. Make sure that the Perian image is NOT listed there. Delete it if you do see it in that list. (don't just uncheck the box)

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
The one on the desktop needs ejecting before you delete it. Right click on it and choose Eject Disc. Then open your Applications folder in finder and drag the program to your waste bin.

Barney

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The one on the desktop needs ejecting before you delete it. Right click on it and choose Eject Disc. Then open your Applications folder in finder and drag the program to your waste bin.

Perian will likely not be in Applications - it is a pref pane.
It's probably in the /Library/PreferencePanes folder.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Perian will likely not be in Applications - it is a pref pane.
It's probably in the /Library/PreferencePanes folder.
That's right. That's why it's more efficient to use the method I posted earlier, which will find files related to apps, no matter where they're located.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.