I've never understood this about files...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Andrew83Ga, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Andrew83Ga macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2009
    I have the same pictures in Aperture...and iPhoto...and also in the "All Images"...and in the HD in the "Users' Pictures" folder...am I wasting a ton of HD space by having multiple copies of these (thousands) of photos? Or are they just conveniently accessible from these many places, but only saved[?] (I'm not great with computers) once on the computer? When I first bought it, I saved them in the "Users' Pictures" folder thinking that would be the most permanent place to keep them, and as I opened new programs, they were saved to the Aperture and iPhoto libraries...

While I'm here, should I ax iPhoto now that I have Aperture? Or is there some benefit to keeping it?

Thanks as always!

2. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    They are only once on your HDD, as Aperture has access to the iPhoto Library, which is stored in Macintosh HD / Users / You / Pictures / iPhotos.

The All Images short cut is a search result and not an actual place on your HDD.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

3. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

Aug 28, 2007
    ok- aperture has access to the iphoto library, but if you import the iphoto library, doesn't aperture make a copy of the file and create the aperture library? Does that use twice the space?
  4. pdjudd macrumors 601

Jun 19, 2007
    Plymouth, MN
    Aperture can do that - but only if you tell it to create a separate library.