Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NOD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
After having fiddled and fidgeted with my Airports for years, I have given up on the wireless approach. At this point, I now have 1 DB Extreme, 1 Gigabit extreme, and 2 first gen N-Extremes in my network (as well as 2 old-fashioned starship enterprise Extremes and 2 airport expresses that I no longer use). For the past 3-4 years, I've been trying to get my entire movie/TV show library to stream stutter-free throughout the network, w/ some successes and lots of failures.

Eventually, I was able to get a 5GHz network to work for my HD streaming, and a mixed network for my legacy wireless products. But there were always throughput problems, and I have always yearned to have a fully wired network. Unfortunately, my house (built in 1935, 3k square feet, w/ plaster walls on the main floor and drywall in my basement) would be prohibitively expensive to set up w/ hardwired ethernet.

So, I had previously tried powerline ethernet adapters, which, in my apparently antiquated home, were abysmal (I could never transfer more than 700kbps via powerlines). I was able to get my 5GHz band to transfer/stream at up to 8 megabytes per second from my home office/router room to my HT, but it took a lot of tweaking, and there have been countless problems with unexplained episodic dropouts and bottlenecks.

So, this week I decided to take a chance, and bought 2 D-Link DXN-221 ethernet over coax adapters. And I've found that I have an uninterrupted 6-8 megabyte per second transfer speed throughout the house, which has been enough to stream full BR archives anywhere in the house.

Now, for what to do w/ all these routers...

So why did I post this thread? Because I wanted to make folks aware of the possibility of Ethernet over coax as a fully useable method for hardwiring your home network. I've tried my darnedest for years, and this is the solution for my situation. :)

NOD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Totally agree. I had considered doing this a year ago, but the only adapters available were from some very sketchy manufacturers, and there was supposedly a problem with bleedthrough from the LAN to your neighbors and their cable.

I actually had a friend that had decided to 2 years ago to go ethernet-over-coax for his home networking (a very similar house in terms of vintage, but over 2k sq feet larger), and the hardware he apparently bought had needed some sort of attenuator at the home-entry point of the cable, b/c he ended up destroying the cable signal for his whole friggin neighborhood.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.