I've Painted Myself Into A Corner

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BetsyDog, Dec 31, 2015.

1. BetsyDog macrumors newbie

BetsyDog

Hey Folks,

I've been using iPhoto V7.1.5 since 2007. Every OSX upgrade since Leopard I've just moved the old iPhoto over. (Yes,,, I know that wasn't very smart.)

Now I would really like to start with something new that is more updated. My problem is I can't update to Apple's Photo 'cause I need all the previous versions of iPhoto (iLife) to upgrade.

Our 'stuff' is: 24" iMac, mid 2007, 8g RAM, OSX 10.8.5, and a MacBook Pro 9,2, 8g RAM, OSX 10.8.5.

So,,, here are my questions for you Guru's out there……

1. Is there another Application that will be happy on our machines and will be wonderful?

2. Should I just bite-the-bullett and upgrade both machines to El Captain v10.11.3? (It has Photo in it.)

It would be very nice to have both machines update the photo library regardless which one saved a photo.

Both the iMac and MBP are still operating great, but now that our iPhoto is antique and has me boxed in I need to do something……….

Thanks for any advise……..

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Either keep you photos in folders or move to a newer app.
    Right click on the Library and explore contents and you will see the masters or originals inside a folder.
    How big is your Library?
    Do you need to keep anything like faces or any other feature?

3. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Photos is a mess. Bite the bullet and get Adobe Lightroom.

4. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Photos is crappylicious. But I am an iPhoto user and it just shows on my computers in the Purchased tab. I got a laptop recently and I was worried I wouldn't be able to use iPhoto but it's available here. Do you have it in your Purchased tab in App Store?

5. BetsyDog thread starter macrumors newbie

BetsyDog

McGiord,

My 'Originals' folder is only 23.2 Gig. And I only keep .jpegs in there. I'm probably not a large a lots of folks.

Hey,,,, if I make a copy of my 'originals' folder can I mess around with iPhoto and still protect all my .jepegs??

Having this old of a version of iPhoto is there any possible way to upgrade to iPhoto v9.6.1 without having to buy all the old 'iLife' apps???

Or maybe like 'JohnDS' posted I'll just bite the bullet and get 'Adobe Lightroom'….and forget it….

Thank you all for the input…..

6. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

The free route is to upgrade everything to the latest version and get Photo for free. The issue could be with the older machines not running great with the latest version of OSX.

If you buy Lightroom, make sure it runs on your version, there is a possibility that it doesn't. Lightroom have a different interface, so there is a learning curve associated with it.

I personally love LR, but my machine have good specs.

requirements:
    • Lightroom CC 2015.2/Lightroom 6.2 is supported only on Mac OS X 10.9 and later.
    • 2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
    • 1024 x 768 display
    • 1 GB of Video RAM (VRAM). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors.
    • 2 GB of available hard-disk space (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)
    • DVD-ROM drive required if purchasing Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® retail boxed version
    • OpenGL 3.3–capable video adapter for GPU-related functionality
    • Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.†

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Seems to me that I responded to a similar post you put up elsewhere but...

I'd recommend leaving the iMac at 10.8.5.
    You may be dissatisfied with its performance after you upgrade to El Capitan.

The MacBook Pro (on the other hand) should perform well with El Capitan -IF- you upgrade the internal drive to an SSD.
    You can get an SSD cheap (about $80 for a 240gb) and the "swap" is easy with the right tools -- takes only a few minutes.

You can continue to use iPhoto with El Capitan BUT you have to have the latest and final version which is 9.6.1.
    Or... give Photos a try. Photos has more editing capabilities, but these may or may not be of use to you.

8. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Small enough therefore you can make a nice backup in any portable device like SD cards, USB thumb drive, etc.

If you copy your originals and create another library you can do anything you want with them.

All other folders have like thumbnails and modified versions of the photos.

Careful while deleting if you ask to delete the originals then you will have them deleted.

Some people use this app:
    http://www.lynapp.com

9. BetsyDog thread starter macrumors newbie

BetsyDog

Fishrrman,

You are correct…. I posted similar on the El Captain forum. You gave me a great answer… With both my computers running strong on OS 10.8.5 my thinking is that I'll pay Amazon for iLife 11, upgrade and just ride v10.8.5 out.

Thank you so much for commenting…...

10. BetsyDog thread starter macrumors newbie

BetsyDog

McGorid,,,

This is a good alternative-- 'Lyn'. I just gave it a good look using the link you posted. I don't need much in photo management except organized storage and retrieving. This looks mighty-fine.

Or I might buy a box of iLife-11 from Amazon, install it, upgrade to the latest iPhoto version, and be happy with what I have.

Wow,,, what a pain. I just happy that both my computers are happy with OS 10.8.5.

Thank for the advise…..!

11. BetsyDog thread starter macrumors newbie

BetsyDog

slayerizer,

Glad I asked…. with my computers running great with OS 10.8.5 I think I'll just upgrade to iLife-11 and rock'n'roll with the old tired iPhoto…… Someday I'll get new hardware and be back in this Century….

Wow,,,, what a "Goat-Rope"…..

Thanks….!

12. BetsyDog thread starter macrumors newbie

BetsyDog