I've seen the rainbow wheel so much, we have become friends

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by godzilla1200, Aug 20, 2011.

1. godzilla1200 macrumors member

Since I have Lion, my is very slow. I switched to mac because I hated to see the sand clock on Windows, and now I am getting very acquainted with the rainbow wheel and I don't like it.

What makes a mac slow? I have never had this issue before Lion, and is there a way to improve performance and speed it up?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

How about a little info about your system to help with an evaluation? :)

3. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Anything untoward going on in the Activity Monitor?

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

A couple of things to try. Reset SMC and PRAM. If that does not the issue tey booting into safe mode and see if the performance is better. You may have something installed on your system that needs to be updated or something that is incompatiable with Lion. I would also suggest doing a clean install after doing a backup. Once the clean install is done check the performance. If all is good then start ading back in things you had installed previously. You may find the something which is causing the slow down.

5. godzilla1200 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help.

I have a Macbook Pro 13" 2.53 GHz Core Duo, 4Gb RAM, 500 GB HDD.

I think the thing that is slowing the computer down is Safari. It's the only app that I have had to Force Quit.

I also have issues when scrolling, but that happens everywhere, it slows down (like in slow motion).

All in all, I am really disappointed in Lion. I am not even a power user, and I am having issues. I wonder what is like for people who uses hardcore apps like photoshop, movie editors, etc.

6. wase4711 macrumors regular

+1 on the Safari "issue"..its what causes beach balls for me more than anything else/
    I've got a I7, with 8 gigs of ram...

And, I NEVER had this many beach balls with SL.....EVER!

7. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I have the same issue. I started with a completely fresh install and have had tons of beach balls from day one. I created a new user account yesterday and things seem to be better. However, I'm already starting to see the beach ball now. This is with a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB of RAM, and a 500 GB hard drive.

I was thinking it might be the hard drive; however:

1. Many other people have posted that they have a similar issue, and

2. I have Windows installed on a Boot Camp partition. When I switch over to Windows, I have no slowness, freezing, or anything akin to the beach ball in Lion.

8. Martlets93 macrumors member

Martlets93

Ditto 15: MBP 8 gigs I7. Safari slows, beach balls, etc.

Any options on a better browser to use?

9. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Nothing wrong with Safari under Lion. It's actually one of the few things I like about my mac right now. :D

10. MacRum2011 macrumors regular

i'm thinking my beachball problem could be because i need a new hard drive, but because my applecare has ran out a month ago it might cost too much to have it replaced., i'd do it myself but an iMac isn't very user replacement friendly. I'd upgrade the hard rive from 320gb to something like 1tb.

11. wase4711 macrumors regular

If it wasn't such a pain getting the folders under "on my mac" in Mail to restore properly, when going back to SL, I would dump lion in a heartbeat..
    this just hasn't been a typical mac OS update; this has been a major let down for ALOT of people...

12. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

13. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

2GB??? I'm amazed it runs at all.

14. Prey macrumors newbie

Prey

My mini is running Lion on 2.26 Core 2 + 2 GB of ram. I dont have any more issues than I did with SL. I should really upgrade the ram though.

15. natejohnstone@g macrumors regular

natejohnstone@g

I've had to stop using Safari since Lion. FFox is better, but still MUCH slower than it was on Snow Leopard.

Lion is Apple's answer to Windows Vista.

16. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I highly recommend FireFox 7 beta. It has been very stable for me and they cut way down on memory usage. It seems to be a much better option then Safari right now until Apple gets their act together.

17. pooryou macrumors 65816

Check to see if you have the latest version of the Flash Player installed.

18. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Whoops ... I meant 4GB.

19. natejohnstone@g macrumors regular

natejohnstone@g

I'm definately having better luck with FFox than Safari right now as well. But I'm going to try out Chrome for a few days and see if that's better (I tried Chrome early on and found it to lag quite a bit, so haven't used it lately).

20. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

The issue seems to be a mix of Safari and Flash. I second the recommendation for Firefox 7 Beta, this runs much better than Safari and earlier versions of FF.