I've solved my WiFi issues (and am totally wierded out)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JulianL, Dec 2, 2010.

1. JulianL macrumors 65816

My WiFi has never worked properly since the day I got my iPad on 28th May. With 3.2 it was almost unusable and needed to be reconnected every couple of minutes to get back connectivity. With 3.2.2 it got a lot better but still stalled on web access at least every 5 minutes. With 4.2.1 the frequency of stalls increased, and sometimes the stalls required a reconnect to get connectivity going again. I tried everything: resetting network settings on the iPad, dynamic and static IP addresses, different DNS servers, reflashing the firmware and numerous power cycles on the router, WEP/WPA/WPA2, switching to g-only WiFi, every channel option on the router, and other stuff besides. Nothing worked until 2 days ago when I did something that seems to have fixed it; I've had absolutely no interuptions in connectivity since the change.

What did I do? My router is a Linksys WRT350N (http://www.trustedreviews.com/netwo...RT350N-Wireless-N-Router-with-Storage-Link/p1) and it has three arials on top and they were set just like the picture in the link. What I did to fix my problem was that I tipped the front rod antenna forward 90% so that it was horizontal not vertical and I rotated the centre flat antenna 90% so that it faced the front of the unit and not sideways on. Problem solved!

What is wierding me out about this though is that I never had a reception problem, the WiFi symbol always showed a full 3 bars and never disconnected from the router (whenever I reconnected with 3.2 it was always me explicitly disconnecting and reconnecting to get connectivity back, it was never a case of the iPad having become disconnected itself). Even more confusing, since 3.2.2 I never lost basic IP connectivity, even when my internet connectivity was stalled I could still go to the Stratospherix File Browser application and see, mount and access any of my shared file systems over the network so the iPad was still networking with the router, just not over the internet.

I really am confused. I've come up with 3 possible theories but they're all longshots:

1) Somehow the previous set of the antennae were causing the router to radiate a signal in a certain pattern that was causing some sort of resonance or disruption within its own circuitry that was causing it to glitch (in the WAN access part of the router) and now that I've changed the set of the antennae the radiation patterns close to the router are different such that they are not interfering with the routers own circuitry.

2) There is a loose connection or dry joint in the router (again in the WAN access part of the router) and the tiny movement that I must have made in resetting the antennae made that more solid.

3) At the same time as I changed the antennae one of my neighbours changed their router and it was some pattern of interference with someone else's router, presumably disrupting something in address resolution protocols, that was causing the issue; it was nothing to do with the orientation of my router's antennae and the timing was a coincidence.

I guess I'll never know the real answer to this and should just be happy that I've finally got my iPad working the way it's supposed to. I was just about to book a genius appointment to ask for a hardware swap but now that it seems to be working flawlessly I'm loathe to change a thing unless it starts acting up again.

To all you fellow WiFi suffers, I can't explain my experience but it's worth a try.

- Julian

2. pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

this is not the iPad's fault.

Linksys/Cisco make DOG TURD consumer routers, and their pro/enterprise solutions are way too expensive. every single device in my house lost connection every hour, sometimes multiple times an hour. mac pro, apple tv, iphones, ipods, ipads, macbook pro, you name it. the solution? got an airport extreme router for $80 on craigslist. best money i've ever spent. noticed immediately faster download speeds, and literally have not had ONE single connection problem, not had to restart a device or the router because of slow/dead connections, nada, zip. this was almost 8 months ago.

so i say again -- STAY AWAY FROM LINKSYS/CISCO CONSUMER ROUTERS, they are completely and utterly awful. not just my personal experience, network techs, good friends who use PCs and are cisco certified, my fellow apple geeks, all of us agree -- and not only the products themselves, but their support too. what a joke of a company.

3. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I have an airport extreme and I get about half the speeds on my iPad that I get on my other computers....

4. pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

web browsing is a little slower on ipad because of older hardware and such a small amount of ram. youtube videos load the same speed for me however, and anything with dropbox is very fast even with large files.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Keep antennas perpendicular to each other, always get better reception.

(if only 1, keep it vertical)

6. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Out of curiosity, which Linksys models have you used? I have three WRT54Gs, a WRT600N, and a WRTU54TM. Only the WRTU has stock firmware (the rest have DDWRT) and I only have problems with the WRTU, incidentally.

7. pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

I'm pretty sure it was a WRTx model.

8. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Saying it's the Linksys router is just a BS excuse. I have several routers at home from a Linksys, Belkin and Netgear (the one I currently use). My iPad works well for the most part but at times the wifi just gives out, stops working. All other things work in the house all the time. It's related to the iPad.

9. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

There are like 25 WRTx models...

10. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

Not true. I've gone through 2 Linksys routers, a Netgear, and currently D-Link. Was using the Linksys routers with my 3GS (pre-iOS 4), and it worked great. Updated to iOS 4.0, then started having wifi issues. Switched to Netgear MBRN3000, and quickly looked for a replacement. Which lead me to the D-Link DIR-615. Which is actually a pretty good router with my Xbox and PS3, as well as a laptop. But when it comes to my iPhone, it's a hit and a miss. Even when I'm standing beside my router and I see full wifi bars, I get the message "you need to connect to the internet...", or it indicates I'm on 3G, but under wifi settings, its indicating I'm connected to my router (I see my router's name). It would take several seconds, sometimes up to a minute before it showed me the wifi bars. This happens on and off. Which leads me to believe it's the phone and not the router. As the wifi issue happens intermittently at work and any other place I got to with wifi.

11. PCClone macrumors 6502a

I have the WRTUS54TM and the connection drops constantly. I can't replaced it because it has the sim card for my home phone. Sounds like I am screwed.

12. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

Linksys products were really good, especially since they compared with much more expensive products. A few years ago Cisco bought them and purposely made the brand crappy with bug filled firmware. Anything post the buyout is junk.

13. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

Interesting. Good to know.