I've switched to OmniWeb

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by G-Com, Nov 3, 2008.

1. G-Com macrumors regular

I just got tired of Firefox's clunkiness. Each version seems to get worse than the previous one. And the font rendering is, at times, atrocious. Of course, it was easily the most customizable browser out there.

Safari, the supposed fastest browser for Mac OS X, isn't the fastest browser for Mac OS X. There are a few other gripes I have with it, but the lack of speed and the difficulty in changing the page delay was the main issue. Thank God I have a backup installation, because a Satanic application called SafariSpeed hosed the installation on my main drive. :mad:

OmniWeb isn't perfect (I am not fond of the favicons in the favorites bar,) and there's the fact that it's not free (I've actually had a license for several years,) but it renders pages beautifully, I like the cleaner look, and font rendering is as good as Safari's (which was one of that browser's high points.)

2. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

I really like OmniWeb too but could never get used to the tabs on the right or left side. Just seems like a poor use of space in my opinion.

3. G-Com thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, it doesn't bother me a whole lot. :cool:

4. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

You should also give iCab a try. Since version 4, it uses WebKit like OmniWeb does. But, in my experience, its always been faster than Safari.

Unlike OmniWeb, it has traditional tabs and is even more customizable than OmniWeb. And the developer updates it much more frequently than OW.

5. G-Com thread starter macrumors regular

The tabs aren't an issue.

I'll look at iCab. Thank you. :)

6. rje macrumors regular

I have owned an OW license since 2001. My two major problems with the browser are the tab drawer (I really dislike it), and autofill. OmniWeb should have traditional tabs. Drawers are now a thing of the past in the Mac world. As for autofill, how can a brilliant group of developers be unable to make this vital feature work?

7. G-Com thread starter macrumors regular

Well, since I discovered a couple of Safari hacks and it's smoking fast now, I've ditched OmniWeb.

8. Voski macrumors member

Care to share?

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

10. G-Com thread starter macrumors regular

Sure.

First, back up your Safari folder and the property list file in the Preferences folder. Quit Safari.

Secondly, launch Terminal (Home>>Applications>>>>Utilities>>Terminal.

Thirdly, type the following:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay 0.25​

Change 0.25 to 0.50.

Relaunch Safari.

If you have instability problems, increase the delay.

11. G-Com thread starter macrumors regular

Yah. I know... :eek:

I've actually had the license since early 2000.