Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Now that we are in the extended return period for Apple I decided to buy the 10th-gen iPad and the Magic Keyboard Folio to see if it can replace any or both of my iPads. Mind you, I have a 12.9” Pro (2021 model) and a 6th-gen Mini. My aging eyes have difficulty with the smaller screen of the mini so I’ve been thinking of getting an 11” iPad for travel (the 12.9” is a bit too big for that).

After using the 10th gen iPad for the past week, I think all the concerns are overblown. Apple undersells the screen quality. Yes, it isn’t as nice as my 12.9” Pro but it costs less than half as much. The Keyboard works well, and even works on an airplane tray table. It would be nice if it were backlit, but the function key row is great.

Remember the original iPad was $499 in 2010. The 10th gen at $449 ok 2022 is a good deal.

I’m leaning toward keeping the pro and 10th and selling the mini. I don’t care that the mini is faster. The A15 isn’t that much faster than the A14 for what I use my iPad for during the workday (mostly Zoom and Teams calls).

Reactions: BaddAdvice

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I never thought it wasn't a good iPad, its just overpriced I feel for a base
It’s worth comparing the 10th-generation iPad with what’s just happened with the Google Pixel 6a.

The Pixel 6a launched in late July and cost $449/£399/€459. The reviews weren’t bad, but they weren’t exactly great. It was criticised for lacking certain features and being too close in price to the Pixel 6, which was being discounted.

Now, Google has dropped the price to $299/£299/€349 as part of a Black Friday promotion. At the new price point, expectations are lower and it becomes far easier to forgive or overlook its compromises.

In Apple’s case, those expectations were based on the pricing of the 9th-generation iPad, so people expected either a lower price point or fewer compromises at the current price.

I think most people would happily pay a premium for the 10th-generation iPad over its predecessor, but not the premium that Apple is demanding. Pricing is critical with products like these.

Reactions: rui no onna

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I never thought it wasn't a good iPad, its just overpriced I feel for a base
Same. I was prepared to possibly upgrade my 7th gen with it, but the price is what's kept me from doing so, not the unit itself. I can afford it, I just don't find it to be a good value at $449, but others might.

OP, thanks for the positive review. Enjoy it!

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Same for me, i gonna buy it if the price is below 400€. It's just a basic ipad, doesn't have all the features from the start, so given it's limitations anything above 400 is not acceptable for me.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Same for me, i gonna buy it if the price is below 400€. It's just a basic ipad, doesn't have all the features from the start, so given it's limitations anything above 400 is not acceptable for me.
It has dropped here in the states to just below $400- I bought one this week from Costco for $389. They include a 2nd year of warranty for free as well, a nice added bonus.

I feel it's a good deal at that price- but I agree that the original price is too high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.