Ive Won The Bet , Now What To Get ...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by star555, Mar 14, 2008.

1. star555 macrumors regular

Ok so here’s what’s happened I had a bet with a friend , and if I won the bet they would buy me any ‘’One ‘’ Apple software application I wanted ( any cost ). Well Ive gone and won the bet . but as a recent convert to Mac’s and some one who is about to buy their first Apple Mac computer ( iMac 24 inch ) I really don’t know yet what to ask my friend to buy me ?, I am only really going to use the computer for general home use , but having said that I am open to other suggestions too.

I would like to ask for the best software I can , so any ideas would be most appreciated :)

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

If you're just using it for general use, you'd probably get the most value out of getting Microsoft Office. Not a very sexy pick, but probably the most practical.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Do you do much of anything in means of photo editing and what-not? Because if so, the Aperture app would be a good add.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Buy the most expensive app you can think of and find a buyer to flip it to, then buy yourself whatever you want :p

5. jay1097 macrumors member

6. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Agreed

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I can't find it now but a few years ago there was some party equipment rental inventory, point of sale management software that ran around $15,000. It was made by a computer engineer for his daughters party rental company. Look for this if you and your friend are quite wealthy;).

I came across it because I was trying to switch my dad's system to Mac OS X. However we stayed with SCO UNIX since it was only $10,000 to upgrade our current Counter PRO software and would not require re-entering thousands of different pieces of inventory into the system and hundreds of thousands of customer rental history entries. The hardware was also cheaper since we just needed a central mainframe with dummy terminals rather than an OS X Server with iMacs connecting.

8. boast macrumors 65816

boast

sounds like your best choice

9. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Well here are your best choices....

iWork '08 -- much better for home use than MS Office
    MS Office '08 -- if you need it for business use/compatibility
    Aperture -- if you want a great higher-end photo program than iPhoto
    Logic -- if you want a great higher-end music program than Garageband
    Final Cut -- if you want a great higher-end movie editing program than iMovie
    Adobe CS3 (Photoshop, etc.) -- if you want to edit photos, etc., with the best programs for it out there