iVI Problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wroedesk, Jan 26, 2013.

1. wroedesk macrumors newbie

I'm new to Macs and I got my first one a couple weeks ago. Everything is going great, but I'm having an issue with the iVI program. Some how I changed the settings so when I open the app it pulls every video I have and locks it up. The rainbow wheel will spin for days if I let it. I've tried to open the program while holding shift, but that doesn't work. I've deleted it and reinstalled, but the settings are still jacked. How can I start over with this program or get it to allow me to change the settings? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't figure it out.

2. large farva macrumors regular

Did you DL it from the App Store? It would make sense to me to DL an app like AppCleaner, so you can delete the program and delete it completely. Then just reinstall it from scratch and you should be at the default settings.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

4. wroedesk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I figured out how to delete the preferences and I'm good now.

1.Quit iVI
    2. open finder
    3. Click on the go menu with the option key held down
    4. Select library
    5. Open preferences folder
    6. Delete any file beginning with com.southpolesoftware.ivi (do NOT delete anything other than these files as this file is critical to your system)
    7. Relaunch iVI and reset your preferences if you have any (this will create a new preferences file to replace the one you deleted)

5. large farva macrumors regular

Well I always did assume that those app removal apps never completely deleted the app and ALL of its components, sometimes. But when I would use AppCleaner for example. After I would drag the app to be removed over the icon, it would in fact bring up other components so be deleted also. So I have a feeling its a little better than just moving the app to the trash can. Which I know is Apples recommended method of deleting apps. I just never did it because it made me feel a little better seeing that other components links to the app were also being deleted.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The problem is that many times such apps will delete smaller files, like .plist files, but leave behind much larger files. If you want to use such apps to make you feel better, go ahead. Just don't be under the mistaken impression that they're removing all app components, or even the largest components.

7. large farva macrumors regular

Hmm. Wow, well I didn't know that. That's pretty interesting. I'll have to take a look at the link above on manually removing program/applications and their files. You learn something new every day.