Ivy Bridge Air or Haswell Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mikkel.kg, Jun 19, 2012.

  1. Mikkel.kg macrumors newbie

    Jun 19, 2012
    I'm currently on a aluminium Macbook from late 2008, and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should invest in a new Macbook Air.

    All this talk about a much improved 'haswell air' makes me unsure if i should buy now or wait.

    My current system performs relatively well. Boot times are somewhat long, but once running the machine performs well enough.

    I don't really play games, except for Homeworld which I install on my computer perhaps 2 times a year and after a playthrough delete again. Besides that, I mostly use my current mac for web-browsing, music and word-processing.

    Is it worth waiting for the haswell air, or should I head out and buy myself an Ivy Bridge air?
  2. theSeb macrumors 604


    Aug 10, 2010
    Poole, England
    Next year there will be talk of the new improved Broadwell, then the following year there will be another. You might as well wait forever.
  3. Mikkel.kg thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 19, 2012
    I see your point, but there does seem to be a big jump between Ivy Bridge and Haswell as regards the battery life.
  4. PeterJP macrumors 6502


    Feb 2, 2012
    Leuven, Belgium
    Hi Mikkel,

    How about you get yourself an SSD and wait until at least Haswell ? It's not a good advice if you're a believer in economics (money has to be spent !) but it makes perfect sense if you feel your machine is limited by disk performance.

    Or, just live with the machine for another year and see if you can still tolerate it.

    Just don't get caught up in the infinite update loop just for the sake of it ;)

  5. Skoopman macrumors 6502

    Sep 24, 2011
    And there might be an even bigger jump after Haswell. If you think this way, you will never buy a MacBook Air.
  6. trondah macrumors 6502

    Dec 1, 2008
    Just buy now, then sell next year if the haswell is awesome.
  7. boto macrumors 6502


    Jun 4, 2012
    Next year is the "tock" for intel's manufacturing cycle so we can expect greater performance than this year's 15% boost and a bit more energy efficient. Otherwise there is not really much they could improve on until the following year with a new processing architecture. So if your willing to wait another year from now, go right ahead or jump onto the Air wagon to enjoy yourself.
  8. Liquinn Suspended

    Apr 10, 2011
    Haswell will be a better processor; but the thing is there's always something new. It's like a marketing game to get you to buy the latest and greatest
  9. arctic macrumors 6502a


    Jun 18, 2008
    Look at boto's reply.

    And also another thing to note, Intel is always plagued with delays. So try not to be surprised if Haswell will reach us Fall 2013.

    trondah's suggestion is also something to consider.
  10. Monkeyat macrumors regular

    Feb 14, 2009
    WAIT WAIT WAIT... Skymont is coming out... 2020! :eek:
  11. Kungshi macrumors member

    May 11, 2011
    Though apple didn't focus on it, Ivy Bridge was supposed to support better battery performance. This video shows how even the 11" gets so much more performance out of the new model. So maybe you can have this years model and still get what you're looking for.

  12. chanyitian macrumors regular

    Jun 3, 2012
    Although there will be improvments, the 7 hour battery life on the 13 inch model is enough for most of us. So if the battery life is good enough, why wait? the macbook air was refreshed just a few weeks ago so you will have to wait for a year or two before you can get the haswell upgrade. you should buy the Ivy Bridge Air now.
  13. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Feb 3, 2011
    I would wait for Haswell, the Sandy/Ivy chips seem to run hot with current implementation of TurboBoost, and going to a smaller 22nm process and tri-gate architecture seemed to make it worse. I don't think Intel can get to Haswell fast enough. When I see reported operating temps of 100C at 90-95% of the thermal limit, that means we have a design problem, which I think is TurboBoost combined with weak graphics. If you need a laptop now, get a refurb 2010, and wait for Haswell, with the hope it's a better design.
  14. GBlansten macrumors regular


    Jun 13, 2012
    Thick Ascending Limb
    That's me. I'm holding out for Skymont. Don't see a reason to upgrade until we get the improvements promised with the Skymont architecture.
  15. Mac-86 macrumors newbie

    Jun 19, 2012
    Buy it now before "2012". :)

    I would usually buy the tock model. Matured and stable.

    Got myself 11" 2.0 i7/8GB/256 in store.

    They have almost all the combo options for the airs at the apple store around Tysons Corner VA.
  16. Smartie macrumors regular


    Apr 25, 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden
    One thing I clearly don't understand is that everybody seems so hung up with temps at this forum. What is the issue? Why this hang up? Tons of reports on failing MBA/MBP/iMacs/whateverPC? Answer NO
  17. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 22, 2009
    I had the same thoughts - maybe I should just keep my old, slow computer for another year and get something awesome next year? But then I started looking at what I would get. My main concerns about the Air I have (2010) was that the processor was a bit slow, it lacked background lighting, it lacked thunderbolt connection, the 128Gb ssd was a bit too small, GPU could be better, and I always ran out of my 4Gb of memory. This update fixes it all. I'd rather use a great computer for a year and be happy, then maybe sell it (or keep if haswell turns out to not be a big upgrade), than keep using something old for another year. I can always sell the 2012 Air next year, Air's fetch a pretty nice price when sold used.

    Only reason not to buy one is if you really can't afford the price difference to buy today/sell next year and get an update (that would be maybe a $500 cost?). Personally I don't think it's that hard to save up $500 in a year :)
  18. mattopotamus macrumors G5


    Jun 12, 2012
    that has always been my logic with macs...i upgrade every year and lose $500 tops, but that is worth it for me to use for a year....basically $50 a month
  19. neteng101 macrumors 65816

    Jan 7, 2009
    The Engadget review seems to indicate better battery life already...


    Ivy was the one people that could, should have waited for so now is indeed the time to get it. Decent graphics, faster processor, USB 3.0, better battery life, and 8GB memory option... it just kills the SB MBAs.

    The only reason not to do it now is if you're looking/hoping for a 13" rMBP.
  20. dkersten macrumors 6502a

    Nov 5, 2010
    No, don't wait. For your uses, the current Air or the 2011 new/refurb is more than enough. No use in waiting for features in Haswell you probably won't use anyway
  21. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

    Aug 12, 2008
    For your current uses (web-browsing, music and word-processing) you don't have a real good reason to spend $1200+ unless you have money to burn. The 2008 Macbook seems to be working just fine for you so save (or invest) your cash and wait until you need a new laptop. Sure, technology advances incrementally and you shouldn't get caught up in "waiting for the next thing", but you will end up losing money if you get caught up in the hype of "getting the new thing". Just wait to buy until you need and then enjoy your purchase.

    My 2 cents.
  22. Mikkel.kg thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 19, 2012
    A lot of good advice in here. Thanks for voicing your opinions :)

    I'm not really the type that gets caught up in the race to have the latest and greatest, I simply want to make sure I'm making a good investment.

    Based on what you've all said I've decided to order a Macbook Air 13''/8ram/128ssd 2012 model.

    I want to make use of the 17 % student discount given by my university before I finish my masters degree, and I think now is also the right time to sell my old macbook if I'm to get a decent amount of money for it. Also, I think my master thesis will benefit from being written on a brand new mac ;-)

    Thanks guys!
  23. los318 macrumors 6502


    Jun 29, 2010
    Austin, Tx
    I didint read through all the replies but i think its straight forward.

    If you NEED something now pick up a used Mid 2011 Air. I'm sure a ton are going up for sale now. Wirecutter has stated that the current Air isnt a huge upgrade over mid 2011 model so your not missing much and will get it cheaper.

    If you CAN wait, then do wait. This is the time of year everyone is thinking and double thinking about upgrading to the latest and greatest. If your fine then just pretend that whole WWDC Keynote thing never happened and pick up the next refresh on launch day 2013.
  24. benjyyy macrumors newbie

    Jun 12, 2012
    This doesn't really apply if he is using the student discount as that would make it a better choice to get it new than the savings you would get from buying a 2011 model.

    Have fun with your new macbook, I have a feeling I am going to pull the trigger very soon as I am a bit fed up with my clunky 15.6" Dell 1555 P8600!
  25. Beau10, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

    Beau10 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 6, 2008
    Downtown San Diego
    Keep in mind there's 8.5% more battery capacity on the newer model, taking into account the mAh ratings shown, so it's not quite as significant as seen. As he said it's not terribly unscientific, under various use situations it could be significant.

    I went from a 2k10 to a 2k12. They seem similar, the C2D seems to sip less power at idle and the i5 seems to handle load a bit better.

    In the OP's situation I probably would look at a refurb and save the cash. You probably would lose another a couple hundred on the resale next year when Haswell comes out, and it certainly will be at least a year. That's like paying $.75 per day to use a modern MBA that almost performs as well at the latest models.

Share This Page