ivy bridge and usb 2.0 vs sandy bridge and 3.0

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aPple nErd, Jul 25, 2012.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

so i mean in tearms of the ports, how long will iy be until they are obsolete? i mean because all of the charging ports on iPhones, iPads, etc are 2.0. also, in tearms of upgradability, will ivy bridge see more os upgrades than sandy bridge?

2. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

3. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I have no idea what you're asking. Does anyone know when they'll be obsolete or phased out from updates? No.

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Everything that uses USB 3 should be backwards compatible to USB 2 (albeit at the slower speed). In terms of power draw (charging), it won't matter at all.

Ivy Bridge Macs will probably get the same number of years of OS X upgrades as Sandy Bridge Macs.. and Sandy Bridge Macs have been through their first year already. So if there's no more updates for Sandy after 2015, there's no more updates for Ivy after 2016.

5. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

so basicaly, you can use a usb 2.0 post with a usb 3.0 device, just that it will be slower than usb 3.0?

----------

well i guess ill with till the 31st. if the new iMac specs aren't out by then i will have to buy a 2011 model. i need a new computer very soon!

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Yep. I have a USB 3 external hard drive that happily (but slowly) connects at USB 2 on my iMac.

If your deadline is the 31st, don't bother waiting. These September/October rumors look very solid. Unfortunately.

7. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

ok well if there isn't a spec bump in the next week, i will have to get a 2011 model. i can't want any longer and I'm sure it will still be better than my current pc: and athlon II 2 gb ram, 320 gb hd. lol so ya i don't like it but hey now they come with mountain lion so thats an extra lol