Ivy Bridge for dummies ; ) !!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by igmolinav, Feb 11, 2012.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

People talk about the current Sandy Bridge models, but also there is a lot of
    talking about the new Ivy Bridge models.

Would you please be so kind to mention what kind of tasks or programs will
    enormously benefit with such a new technology and for which individuals this technology has no relevance ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

2. Xikum macrumors 6502

The upgrade in CPU power wont be THAT drastic (less than the C2D->SB i5's). People are talking about a 10-15% increase in processing speeds, which will help people who do alot of CPU intensive tasks such as rendering/video encoding.

Ivybridge will also bring Intel HD 4000 graphics. This is as it sounds; better GPU performance.

Dont expect as big as difference Sandbridge made over C2D, but it will still be pretty significant. I dont think its anything that the average consumer will be DYING to get ahold of though, unless they just like having the latest and greatest.

3. simsaladimbamba

The new technology has almost no relevance to people who use their current machines to its fullest potential, like with browsing Facebook or watching YouTube videos or writing essays or creating charts or watching videos or ... .
    The new IB chips will be around 20 % faster than the SB chips, which is not much, but enough for many people, who use their machine to their full potential to upgrade to it. People, who edit video daily (which has to be transcoded properly and then after it is finished, transcoded again for delivery), run scientific calculations daily, or any other field I can't think of (there are other fields beside the often mentioned "video editing" field), which needs a fast computer and wants to use Macs instead of PCs running Linux or Windows.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

4. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your posts. I may post an additional message
    related to this post within the next twentyfour hours.

Kind regards,

5. 2IS macrumors 68030

Ivy Bridge is evolutionary not revolutionsary. Most of the speculation so far says It will sport lower power consumption along with approx 15% performance increase. For applications like the MBA, the main benefits are going to be the lower power and the IGP is said to have a nice performance bump.

If you don't already have a 2011 MBA, I'd suggest holding out for a 2012 with IB. Also as mentioned already, much of it depends on what tasks you plan on performing with your MBA. I'm on a 2010 and for what I do, I'd be fine with it until Haswell.

6. kzrconf macrumors newbie

This is not for dummies, but for real geeks: there is a lot of information already about ivy bridge and its novel transistors and other features. All About Ivy Bridge (bit-tech.net)

7. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Native support for USB 3.0 if I recall correctly so I expect to see USB 3.0 in the next MBA.

8. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I'm just hoping it'll let me get more than 4 hours on my 11in, am I right? ;)

9. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your posts : ) !!!

I'll read into the link you have provided.

I'm sure a lot of people will start
    enjoying their new MBAs in April, as it
    has been said that for Q1 they'll be due.

Have a nice day, kind regards,

10. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

I would say one of the largest improvements Ivy Bridge will give us will be reduced power draw (and therefore lower temperatures). This means two things: longer battery life and more overclocking headroom in a laptop for gaming under windows.

11. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

• A little bit faster (about 20%, depending on applications)
    • Emphasis on efficiency, making it cooler and give you more battery
    • A faster GPU (said to be 33% faster), for better graphics, and framerate in games. Intel is not known for its GPU's, so don't expect wonders. If you got 10 fps in a game before, you now could get 13-14.
    • Something in between. There will be multiple Ivy Bridge processors, with extremes of:
    • One will be faster than Sandy Bridge processors, and emphase only on being faster, but you won't gain any improvements on battery or decreased temperature.
    • One will emphase on efficiency, so you'll get improved battery and decreased temperature, but it's as fast or slow, depending on your view, as Sandy Bridge today.
    • And there are others will be something in between. Not that much faster, but faster nonetheless. And maybe noticeably more battery and reduced temperature, but don't expect wonders.

12. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

There are several huge benefits.

1. 8 cores with 16 virtual cores via hyperthreading.
    2. Trigate vs double gate technology for increased bandwidth and speed.
    3. 22nm technology means lower heat production and higher overclocking potential. Also means potential for smaller macbook pro models due to heat not being an issue.
    4. With the intel hd4000 being on the same die as the processor, there will be significant benefits to a 22nm processor. You will be able to play graphics intensive games with no significant increase in battery usage. This means gaming for 5+ hours on a single charge. Compared to a gaming laptop with an actual dedicated graphics card that would last for around an hour or 2 during gaming.
    5. Battery life overall should extend to around 8 to 10 hours on a single charge versus the current 7 hours.

13. 2IS macrumors 68030

8 core is going to be limited to IB-E I'm pretty sure and I can absolutely guarantee you aren't going to see 8 core MBA's. You'll be lucky if you see 4 physical cores.

14. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

I wasn't meaning macbook air's would have 8 core. Just that ivy bridge cpu's will be capable of having the 8 cores. This is referred to in the wikipedia page talking about the ivybridge processors.

More than likely the 11" and 13" macbook airs will feature dual cores while the 15" macbook air will feature a quad core. Then the pro line of 15" will have quad core and the 17" will have 8 core.

That is my guess.

15. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

the 10-30% increase on performance, is base on the same clock. Given that the air will have a higher clock already, as all ivy bridge notebook cpus...

The point regarding the performance of the gpu, is a debatable one, since that the comparisons are done on the HD 2000 with the HD 4000, and using desktop cpus... However its a strong point that close to 33% improvement is expected.

better battery life, given that there are better power management on this series, given the tri gate transistors, check MOSFET, although it aint the same thing, it will give you an idea of how that works.

aside the tri gate, there are configurable TDPs. And this is something that I dont know if apple would allow in their line up. This is a OEM choice.

There is the USB 3 addition.

Now 8 core? only in ivy bridge E, which is a desktop only range, and uses a different socket, and its basically the enthusiast, and server line up.

There isnt double gate.

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Really curious to see what the battery improvements will be. If it's significant, I will be extremely jealous. I'm a 2011 Air owner, and not particularly pleased that it doesn't get anywhere close to the promised 7 hours. It ranges from 5.5.-6 hours.

If 2012 Airs reach anywhere near the 10 hour mark... wow.

17. 2IS macrumors 68030

The 10 hour mark is little more than guess work really. I doubt it will be THAT much better. IB is not a completely new micro-architecture. It's mainly a die shrink and a few other tweaks. Haswell is the next completely new micro-architecture, that's when you'll see some real significant changes.

18. simsaladimbamba

19. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Interesting to read your posts : ) !!! Do you think
    we'll already know which chip will be in which
    MBA by middle of or the first week of April ??

Kind regards,

20. 2IS macrumors 68030

Yeah I hightly doubt 8 core in any macbook. IB is going to be better than SB in terms of power consumption but not THAT much better.

21. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your posts : ) !!!

I hope it they don't delay much
    with the update !!!

Kind regards,

22. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes, in April there will be the same sandy bridge CPUs in the Air that are in there right now. Ivy Bridge mass shipments have been delayed until after june, so I wouldn't expect any Airs before July.

Source:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article...und_ivy_bridge_chip_shipments_until_june.html

Ivy Bridge will be a nice to have upgrade, but nothing revolutionary. The improved graphics should be most helpful, but other upgrades like 8 GB of RAM would also help improving the Airs a lot.

23. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

I got confused by this thread. I thought it was ivy bridge being explained in basic terms so even dummies can understand. But it turns out dummies are trying to explain it

IB is not revolutionary?? Then explain to me the Tick as well as a tock in ivy bridge?

They shrinking down the to 22nm = Less heat! When you got less heat you can either boost the speed or improve power efficiency, ie More battery life with the Same Speed!

The transistors on the CPU will now be 3D. An exmaple of this is, imagine you lay your iPad on your office desk. How many ipads laying flat will it take to fill up your desk space. Ok, now imagine you stand your ipad on its side. How many will it take to fill up your desk?

There is more going in to Ivy Bridge, for those that know intel, this is a TICK AND A TOCK! should be promising.

IB is Revolutionary.

24. 2IS macrumors 68030

Thanks for your opinion. The difference between SB and IB is not going to be anywhere near as profound as say, the difference between Pentium 4 and Core 2 Duo. THAT was a revolutionary change. IB is SB evolving or do you think its coincidence they share similar names? Bold and caps won't change any of that so you can calm your excited self down.

25. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Helps gets the message through :) so many people just repeat what has been said in other threads and that IB is just a tuned SB.

In fact it will be revolutionary, in the mobile platform. Shrinking down to 28nm is BIG...big change I mean. (with GPU shrinking as well) We can see a redesign, more battery life or faster CPU...or All of the options.

If you consider CPU benchmarks revolutionary, then I guess it won't be, but considering the potential of all the hardware improvements will bring a much better product than the current SB line, or at least it should. (im obviously speculating, no one but apple knows)