Ivy Bridge heat problem, does this mean delay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yusukeaoki, May 1, 2012.

1. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

People have been reporting about the heat problem caused by Ivy Bridge.
    Some people call it a "double grease" problem.
    (When its layered CPU cooler→ grease→ heat spreader→ grease → core)

People also say that IB can be a fail processor.
    Can this mean that the mobile processor can be delayed for future MBPs?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What reports? For the most part, aside from engineering samples the mobile variety of Ivy Bridge is not out.

Do you have links that report this issue?

3. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Im talking about the desktop version which can lead to mobile delays.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Please stop spreading FUD that has nothing to do with mobile CPUs. The so-called issues are when the desktop chips are over-clocked. In general, reviewers are finding stability issues and higher temperatures. Stock Ivy Bridge CPUs consume less power at idle and load and run cooler.

I am going to repeat this once more:

Ivy Bridge runs cooler at stock frequencies. Check out the reviews on anandtech and tomshardware.

[​IMG]

According to all of the benchmarks that tomshardware ran, ivy bridge 3770K is, on average, 3.7% faster than the 2700K.

Faster and uses less power

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anandtech echo this

These are just two (very respected) review sites. You can find many more that say the same thing. Also, before you start thinking that these sites may be biased, they are the same sites that have pointed out the issues and high(er) temps when over-clocked.

----------

How do you infer this?

5. Bear macrumors G3

It's not an issue caused by IvyBridge. It's caused by people overclocking the processor which is something you won't find in a computer built by Apple or HP or Dell or Lenovo or etc...

Also, overclocking means running it outside the specifications that Intel has set for the processor in question.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That makes sense, plus it doesn't matter what chipset we're taking about, over-clocking produces more heat. I've done that to my Core i7 desktop and had to use some heavy duty CPU coolers to keep things from cooking :)

7. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

+1

Thread maker, do your research before spreading incorrect statements.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Everything I've read about Sandy Bridge indicates it's just fine

9. UltraGeek1111 macrumors newbie

IB: the disappointing one step forward, one step backward approach to cool processing

yusukeaoki, I am with you on this topic. I believe you are concerned that the cheapskate "double grease" approach (Intel dubbing it "secret sauce") will be adopted into the laptop market. And, seeing how Apple always seems to be concerned about details and quality, will they demand Intel does it "right" for them? First of all, I've yet to find any research that indicates whether mobile processors will use fluxless solder or not but all we can do is wait, hope, and pray they do.

Second, @theseb what graph there indicates that IvyBridge desktop processors run rooler at stock temps. I see they use less energy but that doesn't necessarily mean they heat up less at stock. I've yet to find any review "Anandtech" "Tom's Hardware" etc that breaks down stock temps, only OC temps. Please provide one if you find one, thanks.

Also, before anyone puts the blasters on blast I think all anyone is trying to say is with as energy efficient and cool as Ivy Bridge runs over all, imagine how cool it would run using the tried and true technique of fluxless solder to the IHS. I really think this issue is going to blow up Intel's reputation quite a bit and I'm a DIE HARD Intel fan.

10. Bear macrumors G3

If there was a temperature issue when an IvyBridge chip is not overclocked, don't you think that would've been blasted all over the net by now?

Also, at least one of the articles that mentions the overheating when overclocked issue does say that at the rated processor speed, there is no temperature issue.

In short there is NO IvyBridge temperature issue when the processors are used within their rated specifications.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not worried as I stated, I think its too early to make any judgements and to be honest, I'm wicked anxious to see the new MBPs. They'll run hot though, they always have so while the chips may not be hot per say I do expect my MBP to be a tad toasty. :)

12. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Doesn't the ASUS G75VW have an Ivy Bridge? I've seen that at BestBuy already!

It's a behemoth of a laptop though, I'm sure it won't suffer the same heat issues as a potential MBP would.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It may be the desktop version of the chipset.

FWIW, Alienware is advertising Ivy Bridge laptops and they are the mobile flavor.