Ivy Bridge Quad Core Refresh on rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boto, Oct 11, 2012.

1. boto macrumors 6502

boto

When do you guys think Apple will update the rMBP with the new Ivy Bridge Quad Core refresh chips? I'm still within my 14 day return period and would definitely like to receive the latest processor available and 'maybe' even a GPU update like last year's cMBPs. Also, I haven't settled with this computer yet because I'm still trying to get a Samsung display so I might have to go through several weeks to finally find the one I'm satisfied with. What's more, the release of Samsung 840 SSDs are coming this month so might as well wait for an incremental refresh right?

Here's an article about the performance. Ivy Bridge Quad Core Refresh

2. joshhedge macrumors regular

The gains would be meaningless. Stick with what you've got and be happy about how powerful a machine we actually have.

3. magbarn macrumors 68000

Please don't tell me you're getting excited over a 100Mhz speed increase. Traditionally, Apple doesn't release a refresh the same year when the introduction of the new models were so late into the year. If you want a noticeable speed increase you're going to have to wait for haswell. Also, AMD/Nvidia doesn't have any radically new GPUs in the near horizon so don't hold your breath for a new GPU either.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

5. zjazz macrumors 6502

What are you using it for that it is not enough powerful for you?

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

There's not likely to be a refresh anytime soon. Even if there is, you really won't notice any difference. Try to be happy with what you have instead of always wanting what's new. There will always be newer technology, it's just a fact of life.

7. Winnychan213 macrumors member

I think Apple really need to upgrade their 1GB graphic ram, it is kind of ridiculous that Samsung is selling their laptop for just over 1000 dollars and has 1GB of VRAM while we have to spend over 2000 dollars in apple to get the same thing. Especially on a laptop that needs to pull that much resolution, it badly needs a good graphic card!

8. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I bet you don't even use the full potential of your current rMBP.

9. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Haswell will only show a difference of maybe 15% improvement. It will be three years before you see a noticeable difference. GPU performance is not getting better any faster either.

10. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I thought all new MBs have Ivy Bridge (Intel 3rd Generation w/HD4000) processors.

Ivy Bridge to Haswell represents a huge drop in power consumption and heat production with a small increase in processor power. It's definitely worth it.

As for me, I'm likely waiting until Skylake.

11. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Like I said in the other forums....I would buy now or end of this year the RMBP even when HASWELL comes out next year March-July 2013 it will have problems of its own. Every new laptop will have issues there is no work around it. Everyone will jump on it and then complain later...this is how it goes...be happy with what you got in life...

12. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I'd rather have 1GB with GT650 than 2GB on a slower chip. Or do you actually equate speed with memory amount? That would be uninformed. What Samsung are you referring to? Apparently they sell more than one:eek:
    Ivy refresh of an extra 100MHz is not worth waiting for if you can't really tell the difference of 400Mhz. Haswell may be worth it but a loooong way off in waiting if you are exchanging.

13. boto thread starter macrumors 6502

boto

You're wrong. I'm an Animation major using multiple professional software such as Maya, Adobe suite, Sound Forge Pro, and more to create compositions, sound, and designs that form continuity to my narrative storytelling. So I assure you that I utilize all of my RAM (16GB), GPU, and CPU to their limits.

As for the incremental spec boost, I'm only interested because I'm planning to upgrade to the next generation rMBP when available. I want to try get the most monetary value I can potentially get before I resale it, so it's essential for me to get a newer edition to help justify a slight price increase while I am still within return periods. In addition, I repeat, I have not settled with this current rMBP I am typing on. I am still playing the Samsung display lottery game to avoid any IR producing in the future, as well as because I have experienced 2 repairs that did not resolve the issue.

14. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

^^^ You'd be happier if you could get a desktop/ mobile setup going. I know sometimes this is not possible. But a Quad i7 @2.7/2.8 GHz is the fastest thing you can get (exists on planet earth) if you want portability and only a 5% increase from the 2.6GHz which is only a 10% increase from the base 2.3GHz. I know there is also a 3GHz chip but it's tdp is too high for actual mobility use. If you are maxing out you might need a Desktop because the rates of gains we are seeing on the portables now are very slight year over year or ever since Quad i7.

15. Winnychan213 macrumors member

it is now selling for a little bit more than 1000 for a while now, but it is going to end soon

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=8272511083968dbff62c5dcb55ea9f1ben02

the graphic card is not as good as 650m, but it is 1GB DDR5 just like the macbook pro, plus the display is not as good as the macbook pro so it wouldn't need as much resource.

did i mention the price is just a little bit over 1000 dollars now?

16. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Not sure what you are on about. If you want a Windows laptop then get one. The Samsung seems OK. Don't know, don't care. It is a sum of it's parts and they are available everywhere in PC land. Is it faster than a Macbook Pro? No. Does it matter? No. It is an entirely separate conversation. Is it worth the 1000.00 dollars extra to have slightly faster kit and run OS X? That is up to you. It is to me because an OS is incredibly important in running the thing. All you budget conscious "HW" people seem to not get that at all. Just keep bitching that you can "get the same kit for cheaper". OK. Enjoy the plastic WinTel. The OS makes the absolute most difference in enjoyment of the parts. If OS does not matter to you then why are you even posting on MacForums? No one here is amazed by the ability to find the same parts cheaper in a substandard body and experience. We can be that shopper. Easy. We are not.

17. Winnychan213 macrumors member

You asked me what model is that so i give you the link, the point is if there is a small upgrade to the pros before the Haswell update, it should be the graphic card. There should be more than 1GB of Vram if you are paying more than 2000 dollars on a laptop. OS does not matter to me but i can say OSX is very user friendly, for once i dont have to worry about virus or trojan and the speed is always very fast unlike the windows counterparts, which ran extremely slow after a few months and have to reinstall.

18. DJTJ macrumors regular

you're asking for a spec bump on a mac that is what, 4 months old now?

How about the iMac which hasn't been updated in 528 days?

It's not getting a 'spec bump' anytime soon

19. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Why so hostile?? Buyers Guide says mid-term cycle, so I find it pretty legit to speculate what the next refresh will bring, so that one can decide whether it's worth waiting or not.

20. DJTJ macrumors regular

--He's asking about returning his less than 14 day old laptop so he can get a new one... he HAS the new one already.

Next one won't be for at least a year, after intel releases haswell

21. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Are you seriously suggesting the next update will take 480+ days? I doubt that.

22. tullnd macrumors newbie

All the reports I've seen, indicate Intel may release some of the Haswell chips end of 2nd quarter 2013. So, 480 days?

Apple has a history of being able to secure new chip releases like that in volume and is often the first manufacturer to release them in their machines. So it's entirely possible that we could see a mid-2013 re-fresh with new Haswell based chips that have a modest speed bump, decrease in heat and lower power draw. Will the decrease in heat and lower power be enough to create enough room for an extra 1GB of video ram? I doubt it on that refresh, but anything's possible. I would suspect either the same video card or perhaps same architecture but a slight bump in the class or speed(very modest).

But I don't see an Ivy Bridge refresh happening.

23. 24Frames macrumors regular

Apple seem to keep the MacBook Pros very up to date, which can't be said of the desktop models.

Based on past experience it seems likely that they will do a speed bump before a Haswell update. At least 70% of Apple's computer sales are laptops. However, it also seems likely that that speed bump will be too small for most people to notice the difference in real world applications, performance increases of less than 10% are not generally discernable. A 17 inch MBPR seems pretty obvious release at some point given that the profit margins are highest on the most expensive models and the existing GPU would support it.

I'm surprised that the MBPRs don't come with 2GB VRAM as standard. My experience is that for some applications 1GB VRAM is a bit limiting. I for one would be reluctant to purchase an MBPR with 1GB VRAM at current prices.

Until Intel put more cores on the processors you won't see much increase in performance. Haswell is mainly about improving energy efficiency and GPU performance.

24. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

That makes sense. Can't see Apple not labeling their flagship laptop with a new tag in their stores for one year (and the average cycle suggests that too).
    When people think it doesn't make sense, because of a minor speck bump, I understand where they're coming from but still...I'm not so sure if I wouldn't appreciate a 'smaller' refresh as they could iron out some Rev A flaws but we'd avoid the possible quarrels coming with a whole new chipset.

25. elmarjazz macrumors member

You really think or have heard that APPLE will release a new 17 inch? This is what I would love and be worth waiting for.

Where have you heard about this or is it something you just believe ?