Ivy Bridge Question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kovalchuk71, Jan 18, 2011.

1. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

So this is going to sound stupid, since sandy bridge has not even debuted for Apple, but when should be expect an Ivy Bridge release? The reason I ask is because apparently the jump to Sandy Bridge is not that significant, while the jump to Ivy Bridge will be. Will we have to wait until Spring of next year or will it be something that is released in the fall?

2. kovalchuk71 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Dont know how you can say sandy bridge isnt a significant upgrade, when every tests says it is.

What do you expect, twice the power, unicorns?

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Some third party reporters have speculated that a 2nd/3rd QTR 2011 release is possible on select CPUs. They have made this call based on the press conferences from Intel, but who knows. Simply due to supposedly decreased power consumption, IB may be a better quad-core CPU for the MBP line which prides itself on battery life. Also, IB will make quad core a standard, supposedly, which I assume means a nice price decrease, but who knows?

5. mark28 macrumors 68000

Early next year.

6. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

snb IS a signifcant jump, according to intel (compared to original pentium upgrade) and according to anandtech tests. its not all about core clock.

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If the next MBP update brings quad core CPUs, the update will be huge, but the IB update won't be that good (at least on the CPU side).

If the next MBP has only dual core CPUs, the performance increase will be moderate, but IB will be huge.

Basically, wait until the MBPs have been updated, and then decide what you want to do. Then you can either buy Nehalem really cheap, buy SB, or wait for IB.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I like to compare CPU changes as steps more than jumps. Indeed the newer will be better than the current, otherwise, R&D costs would be wasted and there would be no reason to upgrade. SandyBridge seems to use its power resources much better than the Core architecture, but the higher processor capability would make you think that SB is less energy efficient on paper (when in reality if you were to quantify capability and put it into a ratio with power consumption, you would see a pretty good difference). I am really excited about (aren't I cool?) the Ivy Bridge as it will make quad core processors the 'norm', much like Core 2 Duo did dual core (as Core Duo (which wasn't actually a Core product ironically) was really a 'high-end' upgrade) where as C2D become standard on mid/lower-grade and up.

I would say that SB is kind of like the Core Duo as it is beginning the standardization of a new basis, and Ivy Bridge will be like Core 2 Duo, and make the smaller/faster processor a standard. Obviously, IB will also bring at least 8 core CPUs, and some people are speculating more.

What most excites me however, is the potential of Ivy Bridge to open a new chapter of energy efficiency for laptops (and Desktops), making CPUs not only 'greener', but ideal for both markedly better battery life as well as lower electric bills. IMO, once a fast processor comes out with a huge battery capability, it will take the laptop market by storm.

9. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

^^unfortunately, this would NEVER happen in an APple world, but IB WILL fit in a SB chipset making them upgradeable. wouldnt that be nice?

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Apple has always made maximum battery life a primary priority in their laptops. If a CPU came out with similar or superior capability than current systems with a marked reduction in power, then I would bet the farm that it would wind up in the MacBook lineup.

11. TSE macrumors 68030

Meh... as soon as Ivy Bridge gets announced, everyone will be raving about Haswell, as soon as Haswell is announced, everyone will be raving about Rockwell. It's a cycle that never ends. Buy when you need it, but be smart about it. Don't buy the product when a refresh is close.