Ivy Bridge Question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apolloa, Sep 27, 2011.

1. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I was wondering if anyone could answer me a question. Holding my lovely hot Mac, how much cooler can I expect an Ivy Bridge 15" MacBook Pro to be? As I understand Ivy Bridge is a die shrink yes? So it should consume less power and generate less heat?
    I appreciate that we could see a new design next year so no one can definitely state how much cooler an Ivy Bridge mac will be but I thought I'd ask.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The CPUs will be 10W cooler at the most for a quad, so basically the same as the previous gen MBPs if the design didn't change.

3. mark28 macrumors 68000

A 2.3 i7 Ivy Bridge CPU will definetly be cooler and more energy efficient. But if you will get a high end model with 30% higher clock speeds, you'll end up around the same temperature and battery life as the current Sandy Bridge.

4. ACiB macrumors member

No one really knows right now. Some can tell you the theoretical thermal differences between Sandy and Ivy, but in practice results always differ.

Truth is you won't be seeing any noticeable differences in heat if the same model design stands, Apple would have to come up with a new MBP design with better heat dissipation for you to notice any real difference.

5. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Apple will make the next-gen MacBook Pro's thinner, therefore everything will have less space to cool down & there will be less ventilation. Ivy Bridge chips are designed with slim & sleek notebooks in mind, so you would hope that there will be less heat whilst giving more power.

6. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Hmm, not much of a difference then and if Apple make the next one thinner I would imagine that reduction benefit will be gone anyway? And we don't want faster fans! Maybe Apple could use bigger fans if they drop the ODD?

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

The space gained from dropping the ODD will be used partially by the higher capacity battery.

8. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Yes that is true, but they could still fit some larger diameter fans too, quieter and better cooling. But they may just make the machine 'slightly' thinner.

9. Liquinn Suspended

What would the point me in buying a faster MBP processor update? Why not just wait for Ivy Bridge?

10. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Eh? This thread is about Ivy Bridge?