Ivy Bridge, Retina display and next MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kristoffer4, Apr 25, 2012.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

So the new Ivy Bridge chips are capable of 4K ( Retina Quality ) resolution. But if the chips use this ability won't they generate more heat and thereby use more battery?

So maybe we will get Retina MBP but with the same battery life and the same power because some of the power from the GPU is used for the Retina Display? :confused:

2. smali macrumors regular

Shut up about retina freaking displays already

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

lol

4. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

LOL.. no doubt. To drive a Retina display in a MBP, would take one hell of a DEDICATED GPU. Considering that MBP's get a GPU just slightly below middle of the road, and not to mention they are down-clocked from factory speeds.

We won't be seeing any Retina displays in MBP anytime soon. We have a better chance of seeing external Thunderbolt GPU's before Retina displays. (I know some external GPU's exist, but I haven't seen anything yet for TB).

5. Pyromonkey83 macrumors 6502

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...olt_gpu_henge_docks_gain_macbook_air_support/

MSI has your external TB GPU.

6. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

Very nice. Didn't like this comment though.

"The external chassis features a Thunderbolt interface and an internal PCIe slot," Anand Lai Shimpi noted. "Despite running on a MacBook Pro there is currently no OS X support for the solution, but it does work under Windows. Presumably if there's OS X support for the GPU inside the enclosure it would work under OS X as well."

Thanks again for the info :) I would love to have a solution like this I could pack in my suitcase while on work trips, and still game away those boring nights in hotels.

7. ELA2, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

ELA2 macrumors member

This is exactly what is coming with the next macbook pro refresh. It will essentially merge the air and the pro lines, they'll just call it macbook much like the new IPAD. The external GPU unit is a win/win combination because folks like myself with the 2011 model will be able to upgrade to the latest and greatest GPU. This will also create a surge in the purchase of the Apple Thunderbolt Displays. I would expect the unit to come in just under $1000. The new refresh won't include a retina display...sorry to disappoint. Also the 17" will be done away with. Too few users as much as the inability to provide the necessary power requirements from a thin form factor. If you haven't noticed Apple is about consolidation when it comes to the product lineup.

8. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

:rolleyes:

Tim Cook said a couple days ago they can merge a toaster and a refregirator. But that doesn't mean that's a smart move.

9. mulraven macrumors newbie

I think he was referring it to merging ipad and macs.

10. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

You think?

Fact: Macbook Pro 13” is Apple's best selling computer. Merging the lines will kill the 13” Pro. Not gonna happen. The reason why an average joe buys a computer is because it's priced competitively and it has a good amount of storage. Your aunt will not understand what is an SSD or what not. All she will see is that computer A has 128gb worth of storage while computer B has 500gb and is cheaper. If majority of the market are geeks, then Apple will tend the opinions of online geeks. But Apple is a company for the people. If it sells, it sells.

Soon, when SSD prices will be good enough, then the Air's will evolve into 512gb machines that the average joe can afford. I'm hoping it's soon with Apple's aquisition of Anobit. But guessing this will happen this summer is just plain hogwash.