Ivy Bridge - the competition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcman77, Apr 22, 2012.

1. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Only discuss the potential upgrades due to Ivy bridge

Please do not bash windows / other brands in this thread

I want us to see what 'could' come from Ivy bridge.

Currently there were a few touch screen laptops released since IB supports that but we all know that apple probably won't implement that. Fine.

Next I just saw the release of Asus (brand is irrelevant) 15.6" model.

quad-core i7-3610QM Ivy Bridge processor
    2GB NVIDIA GTX 660M
    12GB of RAM DDR3 1333MHz, expandable to 16GB
    As far as storage there are two drive bays which can hold hard drives, hybrid drives, or SSD

Not bad!! I hope we get something close to the MBP

Please feel free to post other specs coming out and discuss if you want whether or not we might see them and why.

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

You should try the search function!

Windows 8 is like Lion-utter crap. All brands besides Apple are crap.

Many things.

What? IB has nothing to do with touch screen support.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

*zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz*

3. Apple2000 macrumors member

That asus is a two inch thick gaming laptop. You are comparing that to the macbook pro? Geeze

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You should compare more comparable notebooks.
    Pick up an Asus G series (G55, G75) and hold it. Those are monsters. A 660M is out of the question.
    Something a future MBP is more likely to resemble in size and form is the Acer TimelineU M3. A 660M is just out of the question, a lower clocked 650M is the best you can hope for. As well as two actual full size drive bays.
    But something similar to a TimelineU is more likely. One full size 2.5" drive, no optical, a small 1.8" or blade mSATA SSD.
    Considering it should have a Quad Core CPU it is doubtful a whole lot of GPU can be handled by the cooling system.

5. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow i clearly try to stay away from bashing and comparisons and you guys went straight for it?

What happened to having a descent debate. I'm not comparing anything to the new MBP only seeing what potential does Ivy bridge + the new 660M chip offers.

If you guys want to cry about it and stay narrow minded trying to make yourselves feel better...go right ahead.

6. smali, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

smali macrumors regular

OP asks for a clean topic with no fanboyism. Too much to ask around here where every retard under a rock come spewing rubbish as soon as they get a sniff of anything non Apple.

Just look at mr retrofires post, why did even bother to post. I think of people like him as the plebs who are stocking up for the end of the world - mindless and retarded beyond help.

I recommend the OP to take the conversation to notebook review or perhaps the verge where you are more likely to have a rational debate.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I responded exactly to the OPs topic.
    A 75W (or maybe slightly lower now) chip is more than just improbable. Likely are changes in the SSD setup. Maybe Intel SRT but I doubt it.
    Setups like in the TimelineU M3. Asus G55 /G75 are pretty much the same thing a little faster again like every year. Nothing new, nothing special there imo.

Also IB will bring USB 3 to Apple and there should spawn more Thunderbolt equipped notebooks in the general notebook world.

In terms of speed Kepler and the 640M will probably be the biggest chance. Yet they will stay scarce for a while to come as it seems that 28nm still has a very small wafer output. AMD still hasn't shown any launch for 28nm notebook chips. Currently all 7000M are still 40nm. Thus Kepler and 640, 650M and maybe 660M in some thicker notebooks is the only really new thing.
    The CPU will be mostly the same thing. Benchmarks show the speed jump will be no more than from 2720 to 2760 which is just beyond poor. The only review in existence yet shows poor battery life too or just equal to a 55W 32nm CPU. Even if drivers aren't perfect that doesn't look good. At least under load on almost the same clockspeed a 45 W 22nm chip should be much better.
    I guess we still have to wait for some actual data with official review samples.

Mostly notebooks will continue to get thinner. Thunderbolt might be added to some very few higher end ones. CPU stays mostly the same. GPU alos except for Kepler. SSD mSATA is definitely coming. A decent display revolution is still at least a year out.
    Optical drives even start disappearing form bigger ones like the 15" timelineu.

8. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, you rarely bump into people that aren't brainwashed :)