Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Can someone explain how different the two are for the mobile variations. I mean all that I've googled more or less show the desktop versions.

Since seeing some should I buy or should I wait threads, there were a number of posts that said that there will not be that much performance gains.

Correct me if I'm wrong compared against my 2010 based C2D MPB, The Sandy Bridged equipped MBPs are significantly faster.

From the sounds of it (and its a bit premature I know) the same statement cannot be said once the mobile Ivy bridge chipsets hit the streets.

I'm trying to google now to see what advantage Ivy Bridge has but any information will be helpful

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Wikipedia is a good source for this. For all information links to sources are available.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

On the technology side, SB -> Ivy is a die shrink from 32nm to 22nm production process, while the architecture stays the same. SB itself was a new architecture on the same 32nm production process as the Core 2 duo.

The largest improvement from IV over SB is expected for the integrated GPU, which will be very useful for the 13'' Pro and Air models. Power consumption should be somewhat reduced, and one can expect a moderate (10-20%) performance gain on the CPU side.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Thanks, I've been reading wiki, intel and anandtech. Still trying to get real world perceptions like the compare/contrast of my C2D vs. Sandy Bridge vs. Ivy Bridge

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Thanks, I've been reading wiki, intel and anandtech. Still trying to get real world perceptions like the compare/contrast of my C2D vs. Sandy Bridge vs. Ivy Bridge

That would require a real world Ivy CPU being available for benchmarking, wouldn't it? Right now the only information we have is from all sorts of leaks, which may or may not be reliable.

As far as the battery lifetime is concerned, I think a lot will depend on how Apple makes use of the programmable TDP.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
That would require a real world Ivy CPU being available for benchmarking, wouldn't it? Right now the only information we have is from all sorts of leaks, which may or may not be reliable.

As far as the battery lifetime is concerned, I think a lot will depend on how Apple makes use of the programmable TDP.
I do agree with this. I decided to hold off buying a MBP for time being and I bought another Mac for time being.

Anyways, I do hope Ivy Bridge is worth the wait... but what sucks is... when Ivy Bridge is released, people will be talking about Haswell, when Haswells released, they'll be talking about the next processor and so on :(

Cheers

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
but what sucks is... when Ivy Bridge is released, people will be talking about Haswell, when Haswells released, they'll be talking about the next processor and so on :( Cheers
Why would that "suck"? It's just the natural progression of tech and inevitable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.