iWatch programming

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Hans Kamp, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Hans Kamp macrumors member

At this moment I can make Mac OS (MacBooks and iMacs) or iOS (iPhone or iPad) programs with Xcode.

But I have a question, related to iWatch, which appears to be a very little iPhone with the size of a watch.

Will it be possible to make apps for the iWatch? Is there/will there be an iWatch simulator like the currently existing iPhone and iPad simulator?

Anyone has info about this?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The iWatch hasn't even been confirmed yet so no one here knows.

3. Hans Kamp thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I will wait a while until there is more information about it.

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Ummm, what iWatch are you talking about here? The photoshopped versions of a phantom device that may or may not exist?

5. Hans Kamp thread starter macrumors member

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

There is a lot of evidence and speculation that Apple is working on a smart watch. Apple hasn't verified this and no specs have been released. There is speculation that it will run a full version of iOS, but it's just speculation. We don't know what it will look like, we don't know what it will run (OS wise), we don't know if it will require an iPhone (or other iDevice) to be functional. We really know nothing about this phantom iWatch. That being said, I am a huge watch lover, and currently own 7 watches. If Apple releases a classy, yet functional smart watch, I will be in line to order one.

Until something is official, I don't see the point of debating this.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

As an iOS Developer, you going to have to get used to learning about official new hardware when everyone else does: when Apple announces their new product. For example, when they announced the larger-screen iPhone 5, developers had very little time to adjust their apps before the phone hit the market. It would be nice to have more heads-up but expecting all the devs to keep their mouth shut about a secret product is not realistic. But it seems to me there's no sense worrying too much about rumored products that may or may not even come to be.

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I wouldn't invest time in writing iWatch applications before Apple unveils it, particularly because you don't know whether Apple will even allow 3rd party applications to run on it (IE, the Apple TV and iPod Nano don't allow 3rd party applications + the iPhone didn't have an SDK until a year after it was first revealed.)

Having said that, if you insist, it seems probable that a hypothetical SDK would look as similar to the iOS and OS X SDKs look to each other.

So if you write apps that work in a 2" window on OS X + don't take up much system resources, it'll probably be easy to port them to a hypothetical iWatch. I/O that it's probably safe to assume is that items will be touchable, it will be able to make sounds, vibrate, show graphics, and probably have a speaker.

Anything else is so far into the realm of crapshoot that it's truly a complete waste of time.

9. xArtx macrumors 6502a

Got dibs on the mickey mouse style watch
    with the user's image as the body and clock hands!!

10. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

same way as we can develop for Apple TV at this point in time: no way. :eek:
    Except after some JB. Lets first see what that gadget can do for us. :confused:

11. xStep macrumors 68000

LOL. Disney may have something to say about that.

As for the thread. If I was to experiment for a possible watch interface, is see what I could accomplish with a very limited size display.

12. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

If the iPod Nano is jailbreakable + programmable, it might be a good idea to see what you can do with it. (The square touchscreen one.)

13. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I thought the squared-Nano was not iOS based, or at least a very reduced one. Is there a JB ? I hope the iWatch gets full iOS.

14. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

It's not iOS based, but I figure it can be worn on your wrist, so finding some UI designs that work on that will give you a headstart for working on real iWatch apps.