iWatch to move iPhone to wireless charging?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jlake02, Aug 19, 2014.

1. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Got to thinking today.. how would they charge the alleged iWatch?

Plugging a watch in seems a bit silly, even with lightning. Taking off a watch and lying it on a charge pad overnight would make more sense.

Assuming I'm not crazy, wouldn't it make sense for Apple to extend wireless charging to other products including the iPhone? I can see the commercial where the actor puts his phone and watch on the charge pad (or padless WiTricity/Powercast type tech!) at the end of a day.

Personally, wireless charging isn't that big of a deal to me, but thinking about the iWatch and the big strips on the back of the iPhone 6 made me wonder...

:apple:

WiTricity/Powercast explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vWq3R2hl_5A

2. techspin macrumors 6502a

That'd be pretty handy. Maybe it'll be able to suck the juice from nearby android users. :D

3. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

That would be great if apple were to implement this way of charging. maybe that's what those really thick antenna breaks are for in the iPhone 6 mockups :D

4. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

wow that is really great thought, i think apple should think about wireless charging technology. its really cool :cool:

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not so sure about your "theory" as it would make the watch even MORE bulky to add the required coils to charge it wirelessly.

6. PFKMan23 macrumors regular

I would hope that the iPhone would have wireless charging, but if the rumored iWatch is the thing that gets it started, so be it. I just hope the dock isn't too outrageously priced for the iPhone

7. jlake02 thread starter macrumors 68020

jlake02

8. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Well you have to think about the disadvantages of wireless charging. A big one I can think of is efficiency. It would take a lot longer to charge an iPhone with its much larger battery.

9. asharahmed macrumors regular

asharahmed

I think that Wireless Charging is a gimmick and I won't use it personally.