iWatch without iPhone = useless?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by newhere2345, Sep 20, 2015.

1. newhere2345 macrumors newbie

i wonder if i should get the iwatch because i know that it relies on the iphone to work with most apps.

what i want to know is if i have watch os 2 on it (when it comes out) will i be able to use apps such as weather/music and almost everything that the iwatch offers without being paired with the iphone. i also want the option to send custom messages with dictation and calls with facetime without pairing it to my iphone, so is it all possible with watch os 2?
    i guess that atm i cant use most of the apps without the iphone, right?
    and is there an option to download a third party web browser?

2. riotrhythm macrumors regular

riotrhythm

No, you need an iPhone to determine location (for weather) and syncing music to the watch. In my opinion, it's a 500 dollar paperweight without an iPhone. And no, browsers aren't currently supported on the watch. Maybe watchOS 3 though!

3. newhere2345 thread starter macrumors newbie

can i pre-define a location so when my watch and phone arent paired it will still show the weather?
    what can i do with the watch at os2 without pairing it?

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Not a thing. It must be paired with an iPhone first otherwise it won't even tell time.

5. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

You will need to pair your iWatch to your Apple Phone to use it, as the iWatch relies on the Apple Phone to not only set up, but also pull all kinds of info, such as your contacts.

6. Wallabe, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

iWatch.

Apple Phone.

Yup.

I was at a regional airport today waiting for the jet, and the bartender called it an iPhone watch. He has it correct technically.

7. ilian92 macrumors regular

The watch needs the iPhone for the initial setup, otherwise you can't activate it. Then it needs the phone to connect to WiFi networks for the calls/texts/weather, you also need the phone to install apps on it.

8. Rlong405 macrumors member

I see what you did there. Clever

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

3rd party web browser for what? The Apple watch doesn't even have a native browser.

10. maleficent86 macrumors regular

maleficent86

Out of curiosity how would you even use a browser on the AW? The screen even on the 42mm is too small IMO.

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

The Apple Watch is an extension of the iPhone. Without the iPhone the watch is not going to function. It is neither designed to nor meant to be used as an independent device.