iWeb '08 - domain pain!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by carl201167, Aug 10, 2007.

1. carl201167 macrumors regular

I thought I'd see whether I could publish my site to a personal domain, so started off the process by clicking 'set up personal domain'

Unfortunately, my registrar (easily.co.uk) don't do the CNAME thing

never mind, I thought, I'll carry on publishing to .mac as before

but I can't! iWeb insists on publishing to mydomain.com and now my old web.mac.com address doesn't work. My site has gone!

Aargh.

Anyone know how to roll this one back?

2. oogje macrumors regular

oogje

How about if you login to your Mac.com account and go to your Account. From there click on the Personal Domain button. Then click the Remove Domain button?

3. carl201167 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much. That looks like it's going to work. I have to say I think the whole hosting side of the iWeb product is pretty non-intuitive

One further question I have. Is it possible to have multiple domain files? The problem I forsee is how you publish them without overwriting the existing one?

4. oogje macrumors regular

oogje

You're welcome.

I don't know what you mean by multiple domain files. If you want www.yourdomain.com to go to one gallery and www.anotherdomain.com to go to another gallery at your Mac.com account, I don't believe you can do that at this time.

If you mean multiple photo galleries at www.yourdomain.com then yes, in the sense that they appear as different albums under your main gallery page.

5. carl201167 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again oogje. It did work and I really appreciate it

To clarify my second question:

Imagine I had three main web interests: music, work and sport and within each interest I had say five websites each

That means 15 websites in total

As I understand iWeb, I have to have all 15 websites running inside the same 'domain' file stored in library/application support/iweb. That seems a clunky, big file with all my eggs in one basket. Kinda like having all your documents in one big Word file

So I was wondering if I couldn't have three files/folders/whatever where I could store separately all the websites relating to my three areas of interest?

6. oogje macrumors regular

oogje

Hi,

~/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain isn't a single file. It's a package containing a hierarchy or many folders and files. From the user's perspective the implementation should not be of too much interest as long as the functionality is what you want.

7. carl201167 thread starter macrumors regular