Iweb 08 Multi site create help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Soura2112, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

I got Ilife 08 family pack ( I had it only on my lap top) and I now have MobileMe family pack ( I had only individual) so from what I understand I can make 5 websites. I am trying to log in and out of the new Mac emails and into Iweb trying for a clean blank new Iweb but my main website keeps coming up. So I need help creating new websites, my main site works fine, but it keeps coming up. I go through Godaddy and have that all set up so the Iweb is where I am stuck. Main question, how do I start a new website without deleting other websites? Do I have to save them to folders? I have tried to log into my other accounts but my main website still comes up any help would be great! I know I am either missing something or simply not doing it right.
    Thanks in advance

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Do you have more than one user account on your computer? I've found it's easiest just to use different user accounts for different sites, otherwise you have to start start swapping out the .site files (located in User > Library > Application Support > iWeb).

3. macdot macrumors 6502

You can make multiple sites for a single user using a "New Site" option from the File menu.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK- time to clear up some stuff! :)

First off the family pack issue- that is not what the Family Pack designation means. You can create an unlimited number of websites with each copy of iWeb. The Family Pack designation means that you can legally install it on up to 5 individuals Macs within the same household.

As to the site issue, all the websites you create are stored in ONE file (called Domain.sites for your info) which is an ongoing issue when people are discussing weak spots in iWeb.

Luckily there is a simple little utility that overcomes the limitation of storing all sites in one Domain.sites file- called iWebSites ( http://mistergregg.com/cocoadrillosoftware/iWebSites/ ). While what this program does (creating new domain.sites files and renaming them) can be done manually there is real chance of screwing up when having to rename and copy files to manipulate them-- so this little app does a great job of automating the process instead!

Check that out and it should simplify things considerably-- and don't hesitate to ask back here if it doesn't!

5. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks

I know the family pack is for five different computers in the same house, but thanks for the info. I forgot about the programs that could make this easier, if I remember one is freeware and another is 29.99 or so, of course free I prefer.
    Though I am on one computer (at the moment) I want to work on my other sites and not mess up my business site, though its only a side business but important.
    Every time I tried a new email out from Me I would get " allow files" etc.
    One last question while on the topic what is the easiest way to import my web files to another computer, after I move I intended to work on my laptop a less and my G5 a lot more.
    Thanks again!

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Ok, well I must have misinterpreted your comment about making 5 websites- sorry.

The program I linked to above is the best one I know and it is freeware- though of course donations are gladly accepted by that author.

As far as moving your sites to another computer, go to /Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/iWeb and copy the domains.sites file (or all other names ending in .sites if you use a program like iWebSites) to the same location on the other computer and iWeb should show them as normal when you next start it up on the other computer.

One kind of related side note- there have been a lot of threads lately concerning how to rebuild the iWeb files if the hard drive crashes- that is, asking how to rebuild the domain.sites file after downloading the files from an established site. The simple answer is no can do, so make SURE that any .sites files are ALWAYS backed up (which obviously is getting done if you are backing up your whole system regularly or via Time Machine). :D

7. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Thanks, I did need to know how to split up the websites also. One would think Apple would make this an easy process. I would assume most Ilife people would not make serious websites, again I would assume maybe 10% of us do. I am trying to start a business and I dont have the time to learn a complex program. But given that Apple tries to make things easy on people they would have thought to make it easy to make 5 websites with 5 different domains.
    Good thing I got all the family packs on a deal, plus I needed Ilife08 for my G5 so it made sense in the long run. I just hope they fix this in the next Ilife.
    I will try the site you gave me and make a donation if I use it.
    Thanks again!