iWeb '08 problems, font related

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aphexacid, Sep 12, 2007.

1. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I created a site with iweb 08. I did it from scratch, because when i tried to load the site that was created from 06, it totally messed up everything.

i have a couple custom fonts that i used, and it looks great in iweb, but when i view the published website on another computer, the fonts are completely different, like they reverted to default.

i finally got everything to work ok with 08, and now i have a font problem. i feel like i want to pull my hair out, please help!

if it makes a difference, i'm not using a .mac account.

thanks in advance.

i am open to absolutely any suggestions, or workarounds.

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

HTML doesn't embed fonts. Think of Word docs vs. PDF. If you use "Exotic Font X" in your PDF, everyone gets it. If you use it in Word, most people just get Times New Roman. :D

The workaround is either not to use those fonts, or (probably more to your liking), create the text you want in Word/Pages/whatever you like, then save the text as an image (PDF would work). Drag that image into iWeb for your page, and you're set.

3. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

That makes perfect sense, but what doesnt make any sense, is that it doesnt happen all the time. like because of this, i took the site down, and made a pag that just says 'under construction' in the same font i was having trouble with before, and ftp'd it over, and it works perfect on all computers.

this things you recommended sounds good though, so i wont have to worry if it will work or not.

if i save text as a picture, it would have a colored background behind the letters will it?

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Pages, iWeb, and Keynote all handle PDFs quite nicely, so I'd suggest outputting text from your word processor at your chosen font size (on a single page PDF), and then dragging that into your iWeb page, and cropping the image there. The white background of a PDF document is treated as transparent in all of these apps, so you can colour things as you like in iWeb, then overlay the text of your choosing using the PDF.

Multi-page PDFs require a bit more work (each page has to be separated into its own file in order to get any page beyond the first), but that can be made to work too.

5. Ikuanna, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

Ikuanna macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, but the thing is, I still need the text to be readable by a search engine or what not. I'm using avant garde for the whole of te site due to the fact that is THE font of my company. The weird thing is if one part of the website is shown with the avant garde instead of the default font (arial)

the "© 2009 "My Name", all rights reserved" (at least it is on the windows machine that my sister has).

6. Bockady macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem!

I created my text in Illustrator and saved as a pdf. When I drag and drop the text image into iWeb 09, it puts a stupid white border and dumb drop shadow on the text! I can't get rid of that stuff so I just have my text image.

I'm just dragging onto a blank spot on the page. Is there a better way to insert an image. Do I need to somehow get a placeholder image and replace it with my new text image? I'd appreciate any other insight!

7. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Show the Inspector, select the Graphic tab, set Stroke to None and you should also be able to turn off the drop shadow there too.

I've just noticed that Pages and TextEdit don't produce PDFs with clear backgrounds (they essentially insert a white box behind the text, which can be removed with something like Acrobat Pro), so the workaround mentioned above doesn't work as nicely as it could, but it does work if Word is used to create the PDF.

8. swimflyfast macrumors newbie

clear safari cache

Fonts going wild.

I go to safari and clear the cache before i publish my site with iWeb 09
    This clears up problems with fonts going crazy.

I can't believe Apple doesn't fix this HELLO Apple... :mad::apple: