iWeb 09: Buggy. Non-compliant. Apple = Microsoft.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theNEOone, Feb 14, 2009.

1. theNEOone macrumors 6502

iWeb 09 shouldn't have been released - end of story.

I posted another thread asking about a problem I was having with using the "Publish to FTP" option in iWeb. Well....turns out the problem is a bug: Apple Discussion

There are 3 options for uploading your website: MobileMe, Local Folder, FTP. Basically, 33% of iWeb's uploading functionality is BROKEN.

Not only that, but iWeb's pages are non-complient and non-standard. My website has broken formatting for any browser other than Safari. Firefox, IE 7, and Chrome all display the site improperly. IE& gets the closest, but still doesn't display what I see in iWeb or Safari (edit below....even Safari doesn't display the page properly...I'd be ROFLMAO if I wasn't so pissed at the moment). For sh--'s sake, these are simple templates. How hard is it to get a 3 page blog template to display properly across multiple browsers?

So here we are, with a buggy application that spits out web pages that are viewable (properly) only in Apple's own browser. Apple - thanks again for ruining all hopes that your approach to computing would be different than what we've been hoping for.

This is incredibly disappointing. I expected better.

Edit: Hilarious update...I just realized that my page doesn't even display properly in Safari.....AMAZING.

=|

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I use iWeb to publish two separate sites to two separate domains hosted by two different companies: works perfectly for me.

Also, I've had a few issues with my site displaying incorrectly on older browsers, but all appear properly on modern browsers.

All new software is going to contain bugs - it's to be expected. I'd recommend waiting until after the first update to form such harsh opinions.

3. theNEOone thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll tell you what, I wish my experience was as smooth as yours.

By the way, I would hardly call iWeb 09 "new software". iWeb has been around for years....this is merely an update. Aren't updates supposed to fix problems and introduce features, not go backwards?

=|

4. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Why don't you post your site or at least the source code? We may be able to help you resolve your issues rather than just ragging on Apple. If you don't like AAPL, go somewhere else. I honestly couldn't care any less - I just get very tired of people complaining for the sake of complaining.

5. wedge07 macrumors newbie

Uh, dude? That's what this forum is for. People fielding questions from others to hopefully get some clarification on their issues. He's got a valid gripe. Check out http://www.carlsoncustomhomes.com and tell me there isn't an issue. I'm sure a RDFB (reality distortion fan boy) like yourself will use Safari exclusively. As for the other 70% of the world still sucking on the sour milk of MS, they use "that other browser." Don't you think it woulda been smart to ensure websites created on iWeb '09 worked on "the other browser?"

theNEOone, I have the same exact issue (more or less) but it reaches other build problems like the navigation bar, picture effects (mirror, shade, etc) as well as the album issue. This site worked pretty well using iWeb '08 but I got impatient and bought '09 for it's FTP capabilities. I'm going to pull an old build of the website out of Time Machine, dummy back down to iWeb '08 (hopefully) and stick with that until I hear the scripting issues have been resolved. BTW, I was using the Safari Error Console and saw that all the issues stemmed from either javascript or variables not being understood by IE7. Pisser ain't it?

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Ok, so I followed the link to the site...

What am I supposed to be looking for that would be out of place? I used Firefox and IE8 by the way.

On another note, it's up to the web page creator to verify/make their site compatible with other browsers. If it's too difficult for you to design your site to detect the browser being used and have it display properly for that browser, well that's not Apple's fault.

On another note, could Apple make it easier, yes. Could Apple build in better tools to make iWeb more compatible, sure. Then again, I really don't have any problems with iWeb, Frontpage or simply typing HTML myself.

7. wedge07 macrumors newbie

1. Did you get the Showcase album to execute the slideshow?
    2. Did the Navigation Bar show up on the pages or was it just a dot?
    3. Did the pics have shadowing or mirror effect on them (not the album but the rest of them)?
    4. Did the Google map work on Rivergate, Caisson Crossing and Contact Us?

If so, thanks for the troubleshooting. The developer tools on Safari don't emulate IE8 since it just went RC.

Your comment about whether or not I made the site compatible... Moot. If you look at the code, it's already set up to look for different browsers whether it be Mozilla, IE, Webkit, etc. Not to mention it would be Apple's fault since that is precisely the function of this software is to build websites. And finally you're right, it is my responsibility to ensure the page works with other browsers, but if it worked under '08 then why not under '09, conceivably "update and upgraded" software?

Frontpage? Wow. It doesn't seem as though you've ever even published a site with iWeb.

8. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

You're building mission critical sites in iWeb, part of the conspicuously "non-pro" iLife suite? And now you're outraged about compatibility issues? PROTIP: Hire a web designer... I hear they're working cheap lately. =)

9. mshepherd macrumors regular

is that one of there templates? or are you simply just trying to make something from blank? it looks like crap. maybe you should stick to one of there designs and don't try and do anything fancy. it appears your trying to use as a dreamweaver type application. why don't you just download textwrangler and get busy if you want to build a company website.

10. ihabime macrumors 6502

Just checked it with firefox 3, google chrome, safari and IE7, everything seems to render fine, pretty much identical except for an odd outlining of the slideshow controls in chrome.

11. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

^ Same here but I saw a type-o on the contact us section.

12. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

13. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Using IE7 in Vista...the answers to your questions below...

1. yes
    2. Navigation bar did show up and worked properly
    3. no
    4. yes

14. wedge07 macrumors newbie

The Owner wanted it very simple and clean. Thank you for the opinion. I'll ask if she wants something a little more robust. Any suggestions?

Thank you VERY much for doing that. I believe I accidentally came to the solution... will post in a minute.

Thanks for the feedback... I re-read the contact section but didn't find a typo. I hate spelling.
    Can you give me a hint?
    Thanks.

THANK YOU! You took some extra time and I really appreciate it!

I was having the same issues and came to a solution quick by accident. I went chasing javascript for hours and got to the point where I just said "^&*@ it. Gonna start over." Deleted all the files (yes, using Cyberduck. I didn't want to inject a secondary variable to the problem.) Re-Published the entire website and guess what. Worked. On everything. IE6 included. Weird. I don't know if this is a one-off solution or if Apple should add to the support documentation to delete the plist files (discussed in post above) as well as removing *all* the files from the domain server and re-publishing from scratch. I was trying to avoid that since my connection (friggin WildBlue was the only thing available in my area) is recockulously slow.

For those of you who helped out by troubleshooting with me and sending me your thoughts, a genuine "Thank You" is in order.

15. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I imagine the poster was talking about the start of the Contact Us section where is currently reads "Whether you area first-time homebuyer..." vs. "Whether you are a first-time homebuyer...". Just a missing space from what I can see.

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

For the record the site seemed fine for me too using Safari 321.

I use iWeb alot and recall it used to create some funky anomalies when uploading. Such things like 1pt black outlines around images missing buttons etc. I noticed if I republished the site it would eventually clear. Since then with the updates (and now iWeb '09) I don't get any problems at all.

Check my site out. Just to be on the safe side (mainly because of IE) I use web friendly fonts and now don't get any problems whatsoever. If you do spot anything funky let me know. :)

Site is www.stuartluff.co.uk

17. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I like your site, it doesn't look like the usual iWeb stuff :)

One thing I noticed though is that many pages are slow to load. I wondered if it was your web host but then realised lots of elements are images, even most of the text. One column was a 1MB PNG image. I assume that explains why it's slow.

Is this an iWeb thing, where it converts text to images? Is it possible to change this?

I may need to knock together a website for a charity soon and am thinking of using iWeb '09 as I'm a n00b at this.

18. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thanks for telling me about the text/image problem. For the titles I make the text an image so it looks exactly how I want it to but the main text I leave as text, that being said I have noticed I have missed a few things and some bits of text appear as images when they should infact be text. I'm close to updating the site so I will sort that out soon. Its not an iWeb problem its just something I have missed.

The site is hosted on mobileme (notoriously slow) but the images arent helping either. :eek:

Which column is a 1mb png? :eek:

Anybody else notice (in iWeb 09) that the shadow opacity for text no longer works? I used to use that to force text to be an image by giving the text a shadow but setting the opacity to 0%. Now it doesnt seem to do anything in iWeb'09.

19. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

All renders perfectly in Safari 4 Beta running on Leopard. :D

20. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Opposite experiences

So I just installed iLife 09 and things are working great for me. I setup the ftp without any problems, no more having to use cyberduck to manually upload changes.

Actually I am experiencing many things are now working on firefix that were not before, such as borders and now my albums are showing up when they wold not before. This is a good thing. So far so good. If someone could please check in IE and see if their are obvious problems. Site in signature. I am in the process of having iWeb republish all 1.3 gigs of the site as I type this so it may be an hour or so before all content is back updated

Thank you,
    Daniel

Edit: I decided to optimize the website and re-upload everything so the site will be down for a few hours, sorry.

21. nickcliborne macrumors regular

I would suggest checking http://validator.w3.org/ to validate each one of your pages.

22. princigalli macrumors 6502

Don't use Iweb for anything more than publishing your holiday photos for the family. It is non compliant, unreliable, there are few design options and it's not that good for updates. There are plenty of better solutions out there.

There was a Firefox issue last year, that Iweb pages were not visible on Firefox. I'm not sure, maybe it has been resolved now, but the problem lasted at least a couple of months without anyone at Apple or Firefox discussing the problem or even less taking any action.

This is not the way I want to my website to work. It's not serious even at non-professional level. The only program in the Ilife package that works well is IPhoto. All the rest should never be used.

23. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I agree that iWeb is by far not the best solution out there but you can put together a good looking website in an incredibly short amount of time. iWeb 09 is more compliant then 08 in my opinion. My pages are working great in all the main browsers so I am happy. I did find a nice program called Web Site Maestro which goes through and optimizes your website. It supposedly improved the load time of mine by 40%. I am happy with iWeb for now.

24. princigalli macrumors 6502

I have to take a look at Iweb 9 and Web Site Maestro. It's amazing the lack of innovation in creating web authoring programs. They are like the automotive industry (excluding Tesla). Basically, they all suck.

25. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thats an interesting site you have linked. I ran the validator on my iWebsite using my personal domain name which it forwards to my mobileme hosted site and got 13 errors.

I then ran the test again using the direct web.me.com/username etc link and it passed. Not quite sure whats happening there?