iWeb '09 compatibility to iWeb '08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 792218005, Sep 7, 2010.

1. 792218005 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

This is literally the first time I've opened iWeb so I'm very new to using it, although it doesn't look too complex. I'm pretty sure I have iWeb '09 seeing as how I bought my Mac in early 2010.

I'm supposed to help make a website for a friend's business and he wants me to make sure that it is backwards compatible to iWeb '08 which he has. (So he can update things on it and such)

Are there any special things I need to do with iWeb to make it backwards compatible?

Thanks for any help. And, yes, I have tried Google.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The safest way to ensure compatibility is to not use iWeb. Why doesn't he start a WordPress blog or something? That's about as compatible as you can get.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

From my memory of past threads, I do not believe they are compatible. I could be miss-remembering. Also, iWeb is not the appropriate tool for a business web site. Even Apple is sure to say out-right that it's a tool for personal web sites.

4. 792218005 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, its not exactly a business website but more promotion for a workshop that he does. The website is for informational purposes.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well that's a little different then, but I would at least take miles01110's WordPress consideration into consideration as it could open more doors down the road.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

iWeb sites are not meant to be transferred at all, much less backwards in versions. I wouldn't even attempt it. WordPress is a good solution, or look into getting something like RapidWeaver.

jW