iWeb '09 FTP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iphonematt, Jan 27, 2009.

1. iphonematt Guest

Is anyone having an issue with iWeb '09s FTP connections? I have a server running Windows Server 2003. For a while now I have been using filezilla and it has worked just fine.
    Using iWeb 09', I have it configured the same way as i do in filezilla. It connects to my server and logs in fine, but when it try to do the test upload, it says it is unable to write. Now why would iWeb not be able to write by filezilla can?

Thanks!

2. ollive macrumors newbie

iweb 09 FTP

get the same problem when i try to upload my site using ftp on iweb
    get error said that i can not write
    it's working perfect with transmit
    Bug ?

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

So the only thing that is new in iWeb doesn't work? :rolleyes:

I'm definitely not upgrading. There is so much that could be done to improve iWeb, simple stuff too.

4. iphonematt thread starter Guest

I think I have narrowed it down to an error with passive FTP. I have both Dreamweaver CS4 and filezilla set to use passive FTP and it works fine, however I don't see that option in iWeb so I think that is probably the culprit.

5. Centris 650 macrumors 6502

Centris 650

Ah! I really thought I was the only one. I plugged in all my info from my FTP program into iWeb '09 and couldn't get it to work. I wonder how long before Apple posts a patch?

6. Whaleyland macrumors newbie

I just had the same problem too. Inputed all the information but no upload. The problem with me is that transmit crashes every time I upload, so I am out of options. Plus, I don't like uploading the entire site every time I want to update it. I blog, for God's sake! Just when I thought iWeb was improving, it decides it still doesn't want to work.

7. berone macrumors member

Anyone having any luck with this problem? Does iweb create a log anywhere that might provide a lead as to where the error is happening?

Thanks,
    Anthony

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Seriously iWeb sucks. It's only useful if you have MobileMe and even if you do, you're better off using a text editor

9. berone macrumors member

10. Eraser macrumors newbie

I am using FTP and it works fine. Check and make sure you have the correct path or it will not upload. That was the problem I had when I set mine up. If you have all the settings right it will work just fine.

11. angryshortguy macrumors newbie

FTP not the only problem

ftp worked the first time, after that it won't complete the transfer. Just disconnects with an error. Seems to be after I updated my blog (3rd entry).
    Internet Explorer won't show the content of my new web site.
    No pictures, not formatting, very little text.
    iWeb09 just doesn't work.
    And the fan boys at the apple user group are making me crazy.
    "Apple can't help it if 80% of the planet uses a crappy browser".
    Give me a break.
    Truth is, iWeb does not work.
    Don't waste your money, don't waste your time.
    I'm out $80, and hours of my time trying to restore to my older version of iWeb and recreating my web site.
    I just wish I'd waited and read what others had to say about it before jumping in like a fanboy myself.
    Live and learn.

12. The Boosh! macrumors newbie

Guys, im having this problem and as far as i know all my details are correct. Has this been rectified?

Someone help!

13. triedbyfire78 macrumors newbie

iWeb 09 FTP Fix

The problem doesn't fully lyie with iWeb. I uploaded my wife's photography site using the FTP options. My iWeb wasn't giving an error, it would just close. The site had already been loaded once, but I wanted to upload the site completely again and not just the changes. I chose to upload the site, the program would crash... Upload just the changes (which is an awesome feature of iWeb), and the program would crash. Every now and then, I would get a message saying something about not having authority to write or something. I logged into my site's control panel through the company/site that I bought the domain and hosting through. Looked into the folder my site was supposed to be ftp loaded into. I deleted the previous copy of the site that was loaded (ONLY the files I had uploaded, not the other(s) like cgi-web, etc.). Logged out of that site when it was finished. Re-opened iWeb and clicked 'Test Connection' again. It communicated fine, so I 'Published the Entire Site' again and it worked fine. Apparently, seeing the previous files, it crashed out. I am assuming that the reason it works with certain ftp uploaders, but not iWeb, is because other uploaders allow you to fully edit the files that are stored on the server (ie: edit, remove, replace, etc) but since iWeb is basic and only lets you publish it up, it freaks when there is already a file system of a website there. However, the 'Publish changes works fine after the initial upload.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I found iWeb's FTP process to be a bit frustrating. I prefer Panic's transmit. Its faster, you get to see what's moving and overall a better product.

To that end, when I was using iWeb (Now a rapidweaver user) I'd publish my website to the drive, and then upload that to my web host via transmit.

15. eakinasila macrumors newbie

How to make files available on ftp server? Sometimes Ipeople send a link to download files from their server (ie files that are too big to email). How can I make my own files available? I dont want to give full access to the ftp, just send them a link which will go automaticaly to the file and download it.

16. Jamesr1501 macrumors newbie