iWeb 09 generated pages cause IE7 to show errors

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by majaraj, Mar 15, 2009.

1. majaraj macrumors newbie

Having generated a site (www.eliteordefeat.com) and published it, if I access the site using IE7 on WinXP, it shows errors in the bottom left hand corner. Safari runs OK. Screenshot of error is attached.

I added a sitemap file (sitemap.xml) to get some visibility with google but don't think that is the problem. Further more I can't find the text 'SimpleAnimation' being referenced by the error.

The site is quite simple, some photos, a blog and an RSS feed. I've disabled all add-ons for IE7.

Attached Files:

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

That error comes from this Javascript file:

http://www.eliteordefeat.com/eliteordefeat/Scripts/Widgets/SharedResources/WidgetCommon.js

Its really long, loaded on all pages, generated by iWeb. I viewed the site (especially the contact/sponsors page) through Windows MSIE 7 and did not see the error even with "display notification about every error" enabled in MSIE 7's options, but the scroll bar to the right of the Ajax loaded content disappeared via that browser. Nothing to fix in terms of errors from my MSIE 7 browser.

All I can say is the site seems to be working fair enough cross browser, even if the view is slightly different. I will note, as always, there is a TON of code to do simple stuff (like populate a div with content via Ajax, add a scrollbar to the right, simple menu nav which could be done via CSS entirely in your case). If you keep seeing stuff like this happen, switch to RapidWeaver, learn how to code alot of this stuff on your own, if you feel inclined and challenged to do so. Otherwise, your iWeb generated code will be complex, proprietary, and very tough to debug as it's all squished together and not commented.

-jim

3. majaraj thread starter macrumors newbie

Jim, many thanks for the assistance. The iWeb stuff is convenient for a novice like me, and I take what you say about looking at a more advanced web tool. I'll keep in mind the suggestion to 'move up' to something like RapidWeaver once I've found my feet a bit more. Do I need to understand Java to make this transition?

What is bizarre is my MIE7 tool on my work machine shows the site OK, Safari shows it OK... it's my other home machine that has problems with the pages, and that's the one I would normally use to test the site under MS.

Is it worth me pointing this out to Apple. From your description, it's too complicated for me to sort out at the source level (although it would be good to see how to get MIE7 to see its way through the errors)...

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

If you have an issue with one computer not rendering properly, fix it by whatever means necessary (this is a Mac forum, I'm not discussing Windows fixes here, even if run via Parallels or VMWare).

Sure you can inform Apple, make your voice heard. I'll never suggest to anyone not to report a cross browser bug. But don't be too surprised if nothing happens because nowhere is cross browser compatibility "gauranteed" for any iWeb generated pages.

FYI - Java is Sun's language, for the kind of stuff we're discussing here if you upgrade to RapidWeaver and start developing on your own, you'll need to learn the basics of HTML, CSS and Javascript. Then after you master those, learn PHP and MySQL which are both well supported on the Mac platform for development via a product called MAMP. All well discussed and supported on this forum.

-jim