iWeb 09....hardwork!!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Mcnaphobia, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mcnaphobia macrumors newbie

Hi
    I'm new to the forum and also new to anything 'mac'. I just got my first macbook a few weeks ago, so please bear with me if I say anything dumb as I'm still getting to grips with how different it all is to windows.

My problem is iWeb 09 - I have built a site that I need to go live urgently. The problem is I don't use mobile me, my hosting is with heartinternet.

I have saved all the sites files on my macbook and then used iWebs FTP transfer - Once the files are uploaded iWeb notifies me and asks if I want to view site, if I view my site this way it looks great - However, if I refresh my browser it comes back error and my url can not be found.

I did some surfing to find out if anyone had similar issues and true enough they do, according to some sites the problem lies with iWeb's FTP transfer, so off I went to download some mac friendly FTP programs only to have the same problems - I have tried cyberduck and transport so far and I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth using iWeb to build my site or if the problem is with me?
    I really like the clean look I achieved with building my site in iWeb and would ideally prefer to stick it out but time is of the essence and I really need to get that site live asap

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Regards
    Kazz ~X~ :cool:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Based on the questions I see people bring to this forum and the little I've played with iWeb myself I would say it can certainly be a pain in the butt to use. It's fine when it's working, but as soon as something goes wrong it takes a while to get back on track.

If you know or are willing to learn web design skills including HTML and CSS then I would say start moving away from iWeb. If not though, then you'll have a hard time finding a web page application that's as easy to use as iWeb.

I'm not sure about your current problem. I haven't used the FTP for iWeb 09. I'd have to know more about the problem to have a guess. If you have a link to share we could take a look at it to see if it shows up for us.

3. Mcnaphobia thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is that for some reason when my files have been uploaded with iweb's FTP it doesn't work, I tried different FTP clients and I still cant get my site to show

4. nfable macrumors regular

nfable

What's the site?

List your site, man...
    also what is the name you're using in iWeb to edit it?

For example if you have "www.site.com" as a domain, and you are editing your in iweb and the name is "site"; you're actual home page would be www.site.com/site/home.html this threw me a few times.

Have you tried Cyberduck ftp; and can you see your files on the server through your ftp client?

Else call your hosting service and have them walk you thru; you're paying for their service afterall... make 'em work for it :D

nf

5. Mcnaphobia thread starter macrumors newbie

My domain name is www.rental-tomar.com but for some reason Iweb changes it and I think this is where the problem lies - yes, all files can be seen on my hosting server :confused:

6. Mcnaphobia thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, Im almost sure this is the problem, but I think Im missing something (or maybe just being thick!) No matter what I name the site in iWeb I still have the same problem because when it uploads it adds the site name i have named it in iwb to the url - when I use ftp client to upload I still get the same problem - This is driving me mad because I know it must be something simple I'm doing wrong :(:confused:

7. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...epping_new_snow_leopard_iweb_ard_updates.html
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1888700&tstart=15

AppleMatt

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

9. Mcnaphobia thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi agai

Well after reading the links kindly provided by applematt I am assuming the problem lies with apple and the iweb 09 version - I dont really know where to go from here apart from re-designing it all in dreamweaver arghhhhhhh!! :mad:

Not an overall good experience coming from a first time mac owner! :(

10. edonetampa macrumors newbie

Just tried the link and it works for me.

Did you do anything different to upload or did you redesign?

Links all seem to work fine as well.

11. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Website works for me too; in Firefox and Safari. The 2 links to a photo gallery on the home page don't work however - 404 page not found (the link to the gallery in the navigation bar works fine).

12. Mcnaphobia thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

The problem must definitely lie with iweb 09 - after spending days (and nights) on this I figured the problem came from how iweb save the files - i.e as someone previously mentioned on this thread you have to name your site so you can save it to disk, then for some reason(im not techy enough to understand why) when uploading either via iwebs ftp or any other ftp client it uploads everything but includes the name of the site for example - My sites url is www.rental-tomar.com the name i gave my site whilst building it in iwebs was Tomar so when it uploaded the files the url changed to www.rental-tomar.com/Tomar/home - It just didnt matter how or what I used to upload the files it still kept happening so in the end I decided to upload it all (probably for the 100th time!) and then go into my hosting copy all the files from the tomar folder, delete the Tomar folder from server and then add all the files manually, it didnt work when I tried to do it on disk before uploading to the server, it had to be done on the server - odd!!! :rolleyes:

Im sorry if I havnt explained this very well, Im not a web master boffin and as they say you dont need to know how an engine works to be able to drive a car lol

I;m fairly disappointed with the time been wasted and the sheer frustration of all this, not to mention that every time I want to add to the site or re-do a page its going to take 5 times as long - The next thing I need to work on is the meta tags, I tried last night to edit the html pages but once again as soon as I upload it reverted back to the iweb template

Thank you for taking the time to check it out for me and I'll work on those dead links tomorrow, Ive had enough of the PC for now ~X~ :)

13. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Dude,

your going through the same BS I am , and this is what Apple sent me tonight.

This is an issue with the web server's configuration. Most web servers are set to load the index.html file by default, and many have a list of several "starting" files that it looks for in order, and only displays a directory listing if none of them are found. He will need to contact his web host and ask them about this error; it is not anything we can resolve on our end, and they will probably need to fix the settings on the server.

14. Stocktrader macrumors member