iWeb '09 zip problem

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Greg Merriman, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Greg Merriman macrumors newbie

I am using iWeb to implement a touch screen printing system for the many documents our staff need to print on a regular basis at our college. Once built it will run in iCab and will be accessed via a touch screen monitor. The reason for running in iCab is because it has a Kiosk mode and an option to run accessed files instead of downloading them.

When I create a button in iWeb I can then hyperlink that button to a file. In this case the file is an Apple Script application with an lpr command for the relevant postscript file which contains quantity and print options etc.

All great so far. Now my problem occurs. When I link to the .app file with iWeb it automatically compresses it and adds a .zip extension so that when it is accessed through iCab it unzips instead of running the script application. As far as I can see this only happens with .app files. I have linked pdf files and they don't zip. I thought it may be a file size issue but that cannot be the case as the .app file is only 61k whereas I have linked pdf files that are many megabytes.

My solution is working perfectly except for this problem. I can't find any help on the web so far and I would be extremely grateful if anybody can suggest a solution or workaround.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It probably zips it because it's an executable file. I'm not at my Mac, but I think I remember being able to add in custom links for iWeb where you can manually type in the URL for the link.