iWeb 2011 - Delayed or just left to rot?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, Oct 20, 2010.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

The wife uses iWeb religiously and has been yearning an upgrade.

No new announcement today?

2. DominionExodus macrumors newbie

I was also really looking forward to an iWeb upgrade! I really hope Apple plans on upgrading it in the near future!

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Again, along with iWork I think there's a chance that they'll update it when the Mac App Store is launched. I think they were short on time for Wednesday's event as it was, never mind if they spent time announcing two more products as well.

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

iWeb 2011 - Delayed or just left to rot?

It's funny that rumors persisted that iWeb was being rebuilt from the ground up, and would even have an iOS component, but what was delivered yesterday was the opposite.

So what gives? Do you think it wasn't ready and that a powerful new version of iWeb is still on the way? Or is iWeb just Apple's red-headed child?

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I never heard those rumors but I suspect it's been left behind.

6. the7th1 macrumors member

iWeb ´11 to wait until Mac App store opens?

Hi all, Like everybody else I am surprised that Apple didn't release an updated version of iWeb this time. I was eagerly waiting for that! Then it struck me: Maybe they are simply holding it back for the official launch of the Mac App store?

7. calb macrumors 6502

Hmm I doubt it. If that was the case, they'd have it all happen together. The iLife page still says "iLife ’11 also includes iWeb and iDVD for creating instant websites or your own straight-to-DVD classic."

Now iWork apps on the other hand...

8. sjcmpbel macrumors newbie

I hope just delayed

iWeb is by far the easiest web authoring tool - hands down. I really hope they do not abandon it - it is simply terrific. The thought of using dreamweaver again gives me a headache. I've used it before, but what a complete pain in the neck - now that entire team needs to go to usability school. iWeb is so simple to use, but it does need a few more features that I wont list here. If anyone on the iLife or iWeb product team is reading - I love this product - keep improving it take a little more time if you need to make it even more awesome than it currently is !

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[​IMG]

iWeb is dead

The purpose of iWeb was to publish your personalized site, including pictures and stuff. That type of feature has been replaced by facebook, flickr and the like. People stopped publishing websites and started posting to facebook.

10. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Didn't you hear...

The iWeb team was reassigned to port the iOS App Store to the Mac.

;)

GL

11. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

Darn it. I was really looking forward to an update with integrated SEO tools. It is a pain to use a separate app for that.

12. PKGuy323 macrumors newbie

iWeb is in the iLife 11 suite...although I don't see anything new in it.

13. buckers macrumors 6502

For real? Or sarcasm? Lol, I was really disappointed with the '11 update. Maybe iWeb isn't dead yet (I hope not!), but honestly, discussing its future is the conversation equivalent of educated guessing.

Damn it, Steve!

14. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I really really hope iWeb '11 will magically appear on the Mac App Store launch day.

Price drop, now it all makes sense. Basically, iLife suite is still as expensive as before, that is $79. Only this time, it's $49 because only three apps have been updated. Get the other two apps (iWeb and iDVD) for $16/ea. That will bring the price back up to $79. Logical, no?

So, when did Steve say the Mac App Store would launch? Within three months? According to Apple dictionary, within = in. So that makes it January 20th or later. Hope dies last.

15. rsolin macrumors newbie

iWeb to become part of mobileme?

I suspect Apple will upgrade iWeb, yet possibly do so as a cloud-based app to enhance the value of mobileme. With Apple's tremendous investment in its new datacenter and Jobs' prior statements about improving mobileme in 2011, and their ongoing and increasing battle with Google and now Facebook, it makes sense they would put more functionality and value in mobileme and iWeb would be a great place to do so.

I suspect the next cloud-based version of iWeb (or "son of iWeb") will contain *many* more social networking, blogging capabilities to create community, stickiness and value around the Apple iOS ecosystem. And, hopefully, it will contain more SEO friendly capabilities.

If this is the direction they are headed, then it would make perfect sense to provide an upgrade migration path to slurp up existing iWeb apps into mobileme.

Just my 2 cents...

Roger

16. Undecided macrumors 6502a

Well, I think the purpose was to create websites, generally. WTF are those of us who have our own domains supposed to use? Dreamweaver? Too difficult. Freeway, Rapidweaver and the like? Tried them, prefer iWeb.

Granted, iWeb hasn't suddenly stopped working but it would be nice if it had master pages so I didn't have to replicate things like custom nav bars on every frickin' page.

17. buckers macrumors 6502

Agreed

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not to sound flippant but you sound like its apple's responsibility to provide an application to create web sites.

I'm not sure what to recommend other then continue using iWeb. Its a nice tool, but I found it very limiting. Plus the html code it provides is spaghetti and interferes with the search engine bots. With RapidWeaver, it produces SEO friendly code, making it easier to get your site indexed by google.

Like most things in the computer realm, you use what you like, and if you prefer iWeb, keep using it, its not like apple is ordering all copies off people's computers.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc