Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I have a website I edit with iWeb on my Powermac desktop, and would like to start designing and updating from my iBook. It would be a jump from iWeb 04 to 08.

I copied the website into "Sites" in my home folder, but when i open iWeb 08 it doesn't load the website.

Is there another document i need to copy? Like a preference, something like this?

I have my G4 profile as an alternate account on my ibook; when i log into that account i can open the site, so i know this can work. I would like to copy it to my regular profile. Thanks so much for any help.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
YourUserName/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites

is your actual site. What you have in the Sites folder is just the exported version, which cannot be loaded into iWeb. Get the above file from your old machine and move into the same place on the new machine.

mkarim

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
YourUserName/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites

is your actual site. What you have in the Sites folder is just the exported version, which cannot be loaded into iWeb. Get the above file from your old machine and move into the same place on the new machine.

Hello
I have a similar issue. I changed my old Mac to an iMac. My website was built using the old Mac. The web pages are stored on my iDisk, as well as in the Library/Application Support/iWeb. All the web pages are on this site. There is also a "Domain" file.
I would like to edit my web pages using iWeb, but I am unable to as iWeb does not open the existing file. iWeb opens a new web page. I am at a loss.
I also saved the web pages onto my back-up hard disk, just in case.
Could you please give me explicit instructions on how to get back to my web pages. Many thanks

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
As angelwatt explained above the domain.sites file needs to copied and moved to the same location (the same filepath) on the new machine.

The path that needs to be followed is:
YourHardDriveName/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites

If the Domain.sites (or possibly Domain.sites2) is copied from that file path to the same location on your new Mac, you should be able to double click on the Domain.sites file to reopen your sites in iWeb. The next time you start iWeb it should show those sites upon opening.

MollyG

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
transferring site from folder back into iweb

I have a similar problem... but I do not have the original domain in my library/application support as my old laptop was stolen.

I have downloaded my website (from Filezilla) and now have it in a folder on my desktop. I wish to get it into my new iweb so I can work on it again. Is there any way I can do this?

I have searched forums and iweb help but can't find any way to get the website I've designed back into iweb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I have downloaded my website (from Filezilla) and now have it in a folder on my desktop. I wish to get it into my new iweb so I can work on it again. Is there any way I can do this?

That's a negative. Apple hasn't come up with a solution for this and neither has anyone as far as I've heard.

musiccreed

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
Hey Brossss......

i did all what you all guided above! i still unable to get back my data from my previous iweb (i did it on my previous mac)!

could anyone pls help????!!

raleigh

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
Iweb Templet limitations

I have a Mac OS X 10.5.8 and iweb 09. I made our website with iweb using the black, blank, templet and the imbedded, boiler plate heading nav bar.

Query: I want to change the color and font of nav heading text. Inspector will not make changes in this bar through standard color, text procedures, like when I create my own text in a page. Is this possible with iweb?

Query: My own created hyperlinks won't 'highlight' when the curser passes over. Nav bar headings do, but not the ones I created in the page. They are operative and all else works. Any ideas? Thank you in advance for any help.

Raleigh

Alphakline

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Query: I want to change the color and font of nav heading text. Inspector will not make changes in this bar through standard color, text procedures, like when I create my own text in a page. Is this possible with iweb?

This cannot be changed in iweb. The color, text and style are based on the iweb theme used. You can fix this by disabling the nav bar and creating your own using a text box and linking each text title to the appropriate page then customizing the hyperlink characteristics that I show below.

Query: My own created hyperlinks won't 'highlight' when the curser passes over. Nav bar headings do, but not the ones I created in the page. They are operative and all else works. Any ideas? Thank you in advance for any help.

Raleigh

Select the text that is the url link. Go to inspector and go to the 7th page (blue circle with curved arrow) Make sure the "enable hyperlink" is checked and go to Format. There you can change color, and underline of the selected text url on the page.

raleigh

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
Publishing two iweb sites

I have an iweb produced site up and running and second domain set up for draft pages and 'maybe' changes I want to make to the active site. Checking
in with different browsers, etc.

When in iweb, my iweb site 2 (draft site, second domain) won't publish initial whole 2nd site or any 2nd site changes. The pages when viewed via browser seem to remain as site one. Both domains 'work'. Kinda new at this, thanks in advance.

Raleigh

joelt

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
The Domain.sites2 file is a package. I have not spent enough time poking around in it, but I suspect that if a person had enough patience, he or she could re-build a Domain.sites folder from the old site contents. I'll have to try to do that as did not realize there was another file that needed restored before I could get my site back in iWeb... and I've reformatted my backup drive to use with my new MacBook Pro, so I don't have the Domain.sites folder from my dead Powerbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.