iWeb Alternatives

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by dgrizzell, Oct 9, 2009.

1. dgrizzell macrumors member

dgrizzell

I've been charged with reworking our university's student government website. I've already made a new website with iWeb and it looks pretty good but it could be better. The majority of iWeb's themes and widgets are for personal websites.

I'm trying to find an alternative to iWeb that allows me to do more but doesn't require me to know any coding languages.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

wordpress.org
    or wordpress alternatives

note that you have to get caching solution or a powerful server if you want to run these type of dynamic web sites

My site is on wordpress.

3. dgrizzell thread starter macrumors member

dgrizzell

Well, I have access to the school's FTP server (a subdirectory of course that the website is to be hosted on). You can view it here. It's pretty bland and most of the iWeb themes are too much for an education website. It needs to be simple but look really good. I just wish there was something as easy as iWeb but with more features.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd shy away from iWeb for anything commercial. iWeb really doesn't generate SEO friendly code. Scroll down a bit in this forum and you'll see a thread about rapidweaver. That's a more powerful but easy to use app. It as more plugins and themes then iWeb. It offers a higher level of flexibility and customization but not sacrificing its ease of use. They offer a trial version so I recommend downloading the trial and check them out. They also have a very active forum on that site as well, so you can ask them questions or get help if need be.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yeah ^

If you only have FTP access then wordpress isn't for you.

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

+1 for RapidWeaver - similar to iWeb in that it's drag and drop images and no need for knowledge of code. You need to get some of the good plug ins though..

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Blocks is the #1 plug-in you need. You could probably get away with no other ones but this is a no-brainer. It really gives you the same level of drag and drop ability as iWeb.

8. trailsnet macrumors newbie

What exactly are "plug-ins," how do they work, how do I get them, and why?

:confused:

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Plug-ins are applets that extend the functionality of an application. RapidWeaver has a lot of them.

Suggestion, please use the messagebox to enter your question and not the title. People cannot quote your title.

10. game2 macrumors newbie

I don't want to start a new thread...

I'm working on my first site, i'm a little disappointed with iwebs lack of "profesional" look.

I'm aiming for something with the following taste...

http://hemaxlandscaping.com

Is rapidweaver still your top pick?