iWeb and 1&1 hosting

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by bookandbean, Jun 6, 2007.

1. bookandbean macrumors newbie

Has anyone had any luck in building a website on iWeb, saving it to a folder, then posting it to the web with 1&1 being the web host? I realize you need to use an FTP client, and I've tried CyberDuck and CuteFTP, but I don't seem to be having any luck. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You have to export the site from iWeb to a folder and then upload via FTP.

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I have used iWeb and 1&1 since iWeb came out with no issues.
    Any FTP app should work
    What problems are you having

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

My site is done on iWeb & posted to 1&1 via Fetch. Absolutely no problems, other than the fact I have no talent, skill, eye for design, or time to really make it any better.

6. Grasbak macrumors 6502

does fetch sync files or do you have to upload the whole site each time you make a change?

7. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Reupload I believe. Unless you change a filename or something, you only need to reupload specifically edited file(s).

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Since there's not much to my site, I just upload the whole thing, but as was stated above, you only need to upload changed files.

9. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I've just switched from an internal server hosting my site to 1&1. I personally don't like them. When ever I try to ftp into their server and transfer files the server connection is reset. It takes exactly 10 mins to come back and in the mean time my site is also down for that time.

10. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

You should call 1&1's support line, I have been using them for almost 4 years and I have never had any issues.

11. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

One thing that no one has mentioned is active versus passive ftp. Sometimes if you are behind a nat or some type of firewall then using passive ftp will either not work or do very odd things like resetting the connection. Try setting whatever setting is available in your ftp program to use active and not passive.

Edit: I realy should spellcheck and/or read through my own writing before hitting submit.