iWeb and domain names 101

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Soundhound, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I know this material has been covered here before, but I'm having trouble putting the story together fully - sorry if this is repetitive, but:

I have a website up which I created in iWeb, and currently publish in iWeb using my Mobile Me account to host it. I assume that's how it's working anyway? I think the folders holding the site pictures etc are kept on my iDisk?

I have two questions

1) I want to purchase a simpler name for the site, and just work it so that everything is the same, but my site will now have a simple name, rather than the complex one it is assigned by iWeb (which uses my email address, etc etc)
    How do I do that?

2) Is that the best way to do this, or are there benefits to having the site hosted by another service other than .Mac (or MobileMe - whatever it is porperly called these days.)

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Purchase the domain name you want with a registrar, say go daddy. Apple has a set of instructions to assign that name to your mobileme account or you can forward all requests (via a CNAME change in the dns name entry of the domain) to your mobile me account. Another option is to get a full fledged web host and you'll have more flexibility then mobileme.

Personally I have my mobileme account for my email since I've had mobileme since itools days and its too painful to change. I use a full fledged webhost for my website. Mobileme is too slow and limited for my liking. I'm not sure f the rules forbod mentioning who my web host is, so I'll not mention that but there's a ton of them.

Check out http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ for gaining more information about web hosts.