iWeb and FTP sites other than mobileme

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigsky, Mar 13, 2009.

1. bigsky macrumors newbie

Hello!

I wanted to see if people that use iWeb naturally use mobileme or do you use another FTP service?

I have no problem with MobileMe but I want to know if there are some good (and free) FTP sites that anyone uses that they are happy with??

Thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I know of no free hosting provider that also provides FTP access, alas. That said, I use a paid provider that does provide FTP, and it works just fine with iWeb (though I publish my site to a folder then upload it with a different FTP client).

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

By FTP sites, do you mean website host that support FTP? If so, I use 1-and-1.com as my host, where I get 120GB of storage and 1.2TB of data transfer per month, and two free domains for $4.99 a month. But, pretty much any web hosting service should support FTP file transfers.

TEG

4. bigsky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.
    You both had good comments and helped clarify things for me greatly.
    I apologize I was a little fuzzy on my question - guess cause I was a little fuzzy myself!

So website hosts range from free to pay (mobileme being a pay correct)?
    And FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is a way to get content on the site if you were to build your website separate of the host. Am I correct thus far?

So a free hosting site may not allow you to import or FTP your content onto their site. Is this correct?

If I am understanding it correctly than, iWeb allows you to build the website content and MobileMe is the host to which allows you to post that content to be available via the web. If I was to use a 3rd part host then I either use their building tools or I have to FTP my content onto the site. And that last part can be difficult then...finding a hosting service that is free that allows you to FTP your content onto their site.

Is that correct?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, you understand the situation completely.

6. Heidemarie macrumors newbie

I use 1and1 and I was wondering if there is a way to upload directly from iWeb to the server. I use Cyberduck, but would prefer the ftp feature in iWeb. Can you or anyone help? I like 1and1 because the price it right, but I would be willing to switch to a different server that lets me use the ftp from iWeb. It doesn't work with 1and1. :confused:

7. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

As far as I know, iWeb does not support directly using an outside FTP other than MobileMe.

Now you can have MobileMe be redirected to your personal domain. To understand more look into iWeb's tutorials and help documentation.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

iWeb '09 added FTP publishing support. iWeb '08 does NOT support this.

9. ssieben macrumors newbie

ftp to host

I downloaded an FTP program called FileZilla (free) and use that to send my web files to "GoDaddy" (not free but inexpensive). I have to ftp files to a folder, then create the path from that folder for FileZilla to grab them.