iWeb and Godaddy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michelle1906, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Michelle1906 macrumors newbie

I recently made a website using iWeb. I saved it to a folder.

I have my hosting and domain from godaddy.com. I uploaded my folder using Fetch (an ftp transfer software). It said everything uploaded fine.

But when I go to my url, it doesn't work....
    Is it not published? Did I miss a step?:confused:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You uploaded the folder or the contents of the folder? I would bet dollars to donuts that you did the former. You need to have done the latter. Move the contents out of the folder to the root level of your site.

3. Michelle1906 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Well, I had to move the files all over to the root in godaddy, and out of the "folder", but now my page looks corrupted compared to what it shows in iWeb.

sigh.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK, I'm going to give this a shot so maybe we can get you going! ;)

First off, does your site appear correctly in your default browser if you click the "Visit Site Now" button after iWeb has completed the "Publish to Folder" process?

Secondly, when you say you moved the file to the root in GoDaddy, does that actually mean to your account's "initial path"? By that I mean to the document storage path that is assigned to your account- for example if I am storing to my account's web space on "www.providername.com" and my user name is "user" and my account is on a server named "bigserver", I would set up my transfer program to log into the server as something like "ftp://bigserver.providername.com" and then specify that the "initial path" might then be "/user/docs".

Ok, I just realized that if you can see your site at all you probably have the files in the right directory, so just disregard that above-- I am just leaving it to verify your info. Oops!:eek:

At any rate, how you have your files stored in that space is really what is the important part. If you are publishing a single site to your storage space online, the end result from an iWeb generated site should actually only be two files showing in the initial path-
    1. The "index.html" file created by iWeb when published to a folder on your hard drive
    2. The folder (named "Whatever_you_named_your_site") which contains all the other files that iWeb published.

So let's start off with this for this round- is this what you see in your GoDaddy directory- an index file and a single folder?