iWeb and Google - how to make my site appear properly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ss957916, Jan 17, 2010.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Hi

I have an iWeb website which comes up on the first page of google if the correct (and most likely) things are searched for.

But at the moment it displays on Google in an odd way - the main result is a random PDF I have on my site and then, under that as a sub-result, is the title "Home" (my home page) and the snippet of text it displays is the menu on my homepage.

How can I make the main title of the result say something like "SS957916's Fantastic Website - Photos, videos and more" with the text snippet being body text from my site rather than the menu?!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One of the biggest drawbacks with using iWeb is the fact it produces very poor HTML code that's not SEO friendly. That is google and other search engines have a hard time with iWeb sites.

If you really need to increase your google visibility, I highly recommend a different tool. iWeb is a great little tool for people to publish personal sites. Anything more then that, you'll want a different tool.

I use RapidWeaver which has a lot of the simplicity of iWeb but more power and flexibility, plus it produces SEO friendly HTML code

3. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks - RapidWeaver looks really interesting and, for £50, it's certainly worth a punt.

Shame the site doesn't have a "What does RapidWeaver have above iWeb" - could you answer that? What sort of extra features (apart from the HTML/Google feature) will I get?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Check out and search rapidweavers forums. That question has been asked many times there. The folks on that forum are very helpful

here's a couple of things rapidweaver has over iWeb:
    More plugins to extend the application
    many more themes
    more varied page types, gallery, blog, etc
    Easier publishing
    add your own CSS/Javascript
    create your own HTML pages